查看完整版本: Possible Eurasian Eagle Owl? Help pls...

cattrall 17/02/2012 11:08

Possible Eurasian Eagle Owl? Help pls...

Hi everyone. I was at Tai Po Kau yesterday afternoon. While walking down the road from the guard hut, I saw a large owl-looking bird glide from the forest on the right side of the road over the grassy areas on the left into the forest on the far side. The bird did not flap it's wings, but it had a distinct raised-shoulder look with downward pointing wings. This occurred at about 6:35 at night, or 15 minutes after sunset. The bird was large - probably 60cm+. Based on the habitat, the time of day and the flight pattern I am wondering if this might have been a Eurasian Eagle Owl. I was wondering if this bird has been seen recently in that area? And does the behaviour sound possible? Thanks!

HKBWS Vicky 17/02/2012 11:17

There was a Brown Wood Owl found in TPK last year. Is it possible that the owl you saw is Brown Wood Owl?

[url]http://www.hkbws.org.hk/BBS/viewthread.php?tid=14102&highlight=brown%2Bwood%2Bowl[/url]

cattrall 17/02/2012 11:34

Unfortunately I didn't see it anywhere clearly enough to know for sure. It seems like the gliding flight of the Eurasian Eagle Owl is rather distinctive though, which is what made me wonder. Thanks for the link though - nice photos from last year!
頁: [1]
查看完整版本: Possible Eurasian Eagle Owl? Help pls...