查看完整版本: Chinese Bulbul

tbob 5/03/2014 17:09

Chinese Bulbul

According to the book [b]The Avifauna of Hong Kong[/b], the "Chinese Bulbul is the most common and widespread species in Hong Kong" in previous years I would have agread with this statement but as a regular (at least once a day) visitor to Victoria Park there are few, if any, Chinese Bulbul to be seen.

Has anybody else seen this decline in numbers or is it just due to the Slip Road 8 construction that they have all left the park.

Bob

HFCheung 5/03/2014 22:06

I think Chinese Bulbul have been spreading north, and they are now much more common in Northern China.  The effect is that (I guess) the density of birds in South China (including HK) has been going down a lot, by at least 50% I guess.  Now Red-whiskered Bulbul is more abundant than Chinese Bulbul in most places in HK.

Similar decrease in population density in HK also happened to Great Barbet, Black-crowned Night Heron, Cattle Egret, Black Baza.

tbob 5/03/2014 22:24

Thanks, yes there is a definite increase of Red-whisked Bulbul in Victoria Park

handrew 6/03/2014 10:24

Bob, strangely I have been thinking just how many Light-vented ( Chinese) Bulbuls we are seeing this year. We have a flock of ~50 birds around most of the time. Probably numbers are boosted in winter but it still seems a lot more this year than previously. Same with Red-whiskered.
頁: [1]
查看完整版本: Chinese Bulbul