HKBWS WY 26/03/2009 15:29

香港鳥類名錄 Checklist of Hong Kong Bird Record

[size=3]以下是最新修訂的香港鳥類名錄:
Below is the most updated list of Hong Kong bird species:[/size]

鳴謝  Acknowldegements:
Geoff Carey
陳佳瑋 Peter Chan Kai Wai

tmichael 26/03/2009 18:05

Thank you Geoff and others. It's always great to see our ever expanding list, and the faster turn around on record approval is a great move and much appreciated.

Just one minor problem here is that as published here "Cat F" (the category which is, perhaps slightly rather unsatisfactorily, both for birds which [b]have[/b] been seen in HK but can only be considered escapes eg Budgerigar and birds which have been only claimed for HK, but are considered to be misidentifications, and thus [b]have not[/b] been seen in HK) contains five species in other categories now (all A I think).

They are Red-throated Loon, Greater White-fronted Goose, Amur Falcon, Eurasian Oystercatcher, Drongo Cuckoo, Pygmy Wren Babbler and Sulphur-breasted Warbler.

The next bird that'll need to be taken out of F would appear to be Vega Gull.

Mike Turnbull.

ddavid 26/03/2009 22:33

The discrepancies between the Category A and the Category F lists have been there for quite a while - and perhaps they should have been corrected for this latest update - but this is clearly just an oversight on the part of the people involved. I guess we should remember that these people do this voluntarily on top of their day-to-day commitments etc etc...

Anyways, I'm sure they'll respond to Mike's comments and update Category F asap.

And I'm sure Mike is right about Vega Gull being upgraded - and I imagine Bean Goose (of one form/species or another) will be too!!

As for Category E, is there now not a strong case for upgrading (or re-upgrading!) Hawfinch to at least Category B??

Just a thought.

dave

tmichael 26/03/2009 23:00

Just to make it quite clear, as I know Dave realises, NOBODY appreciates more than I the massive amounts of time and effort that volunteers, such as Geoff and many others, put in. I should have said 'discrepancy' rather than 'problem' in the earlier message.

I'd also underline Dave's point about Hawfinch, even though I didn't see it!

Mike

tmichael 26/03/2009 23:03

And of course, Steppe Eagle!

Mike

ddavid 27/03/2009 08:07

I guess I didn't express myself very well - apologies to Mike if my comments appear injudicious. I certainly didn't mean them to be so - and, of course, Mike himself has put in many hours on Annual Reports, bird counts etc.. etc..

david

[[i] Last edited by ddavid at 27/03/2009 08:31 [/i]]

cgeoff 27/03/2009 08:47

Thanks David and Mike for taking time from your busy schedules to comment on these lists. It's only through the hard work of guys like you that we make real progress in the world. Nobody appreciates your comments more than I. Nobody. I really mean it.

Your comments are noted, and I will deal with these soon. There are also a couple of Cat E species that need to be added. Steppe Eagle is straightforward, it seems. And there's Slaty-backed Fly now under consideration. We're also reviewing a few other species wrt category. I hope all these will be dealt with fairly quickly.

Finally, we are about to start a review of the order and nomenclature of the List with a view to bringing it into line with recent advances in taxonomy. Having (rightly) decided not to follow Sibley & Monroe 10 years ago, we do now think it is time to change. We'll be looking at Clements, and Howard & Moore. We're very open to suggestions from people as to this could be taken forward.

Regards,

Geoff

lmichael 27/03/2009 14:33

List Categories

While we are on the subject of list categories, a suggestion has been made that we need to reconsider the category of those species which once seemed to be established exotics but have now disappeared, Chestnut Munia, Baya Weaver and perhaps Ring-necked Parakeet.

I like the idea of putting them in a sub-category of E (i.e. not part of the 'tickable' Hong Kong list) of species which formerly had a breeding population but not any more. UK list has a similar category. The reason for distinguishing from standard Cat E is a recognition that the species did, for a time, form an element of the Avifauna. I think a sub-cat of E is probably better than a sub-cat of D as this is where (e.g.) Yellow-cheeked Tit could end up if (when?) it disappears.

Any opinions?

Mike Leven

ajohn 27/03/2009 14:42

I think a revision of Category E to include these species which have disappeared would be a good idea. Personally I suspect that Chinese Babax also deserves a place (I'm not aware of any recent records - has anyone seen them in the last few years?).  This is currently Cat C and highlights the reason for these species being in Cat. E rather than C/D.

There's also a few other Cat E species that need consideration for upgrading to B or D but I think the committee is aware of these and working on categorisation.

gary 29/03/2009 22:46

I will have a problem if putting the well-established (or previous established)exotic bird into Cat. E.
As we usually can't sure how long the population will last in HK, it would be a difficulty to justify if a new exotic bird  is Cat. D or E in early assessment.
In my understanding of Mike's proposed categorization, Baya Weaver is clearly Cat. E while Velvet-fronted Nuthatch is Cat. D. But how about House Crow? I think it can't be eliminated totally in HK, but who can guarantee? The Chinese Baxbax was once thought to be stable in Tai Mo Shan but nowhere to find now. Grey-cheeked Fulvetta was once sparse but the record never end.
The result may need the Record committee to assess the marginal birds repeatedly.
Of course, as a usual member, it's not my business.

HKBWS WY 7/11/2009 11:55

[color=Green][size=3]香港鳥類名錄已經更新,歡迎下載。
香港觀鳥會

The list of Hong Kong bird record has been updated.
HKBWS [/size][/color]

HKBWS WY 10/11/2009 17:33

香港觀鳥會
10/11/2009

HKBWS
10/11/2009 [/size][/color]

kevinhlm 14/12/2009 11:24

*** The author has been banned or deleted ***

HKBWS Vicky 14/12/2009 11:45

Category A-D are residents species, winter visitors, summer visitors, migrants and introduced species that population has been well established in the wild (歸化/野化種)
Category E and F are birds that are released/escape from captivity and regarded asboubtful because of the possibility of mistaken identification.

Please correct me if for any mistakes.

You can also refer to "Avifauna of Hong Kong" for more detailed definitions.

thinfor 14/12/2009 12:11

Just copied the definition of Cat A to F from The Avifauna of Hong Kong:

Cat A - Species that have been recorded in an apparently wild state in HK
Cat B - Species that are considered to have probably occurred in HK in a wild state, but for which the possibility of escape or release from captivity cannot be satisfactorily excluded.
Cat C - Southeast China breeding species, the established or formerly established in HK population of which is considered to be derived from captive stock, but which probably occurred in HK prior to anthropogenic habitat changes.
Cat D - Extralimital species which, although originally introduced to HK by man, maintain or did maintain a regular feral breeding stock without necessary recourse to further introduction.
Cat E - Species for which all published HK records are considered likely to relate to birds that have escaped or have been released from captivity.
Cat F - Species for which all published HK records must be regarded as doubtful because of possiblity of mistaken identification.

HKBWS WY 25/06/2010 15:40

香港觀鳥會
25/06/2010

HKBWS
25/06/2010[/size][/color]

2010 25/06/2010 17:04

請問有沒有附鳥兒相片在旁的版本呢 ? 3551a50445 3551em011445
頁: [1]
查看完整版本: 香港鳥類名錄 Checklist of Hong Kong Bird Record