Board logo

Subject: Digiscoping with Lumix G1, Swarovski 80 HD STM and its teleconverter TLS 800 [Print This Page]

Author: lwingkay    Time: 2/05/2010 03:31     Subject: Digiscoping with Lumix G1, Swarovski 80 HD STM and its teleconverter TLS 800

I.   Gears as reckoned from the camera outward
     Lumix G1 + 4/3 Converter from Nikon Mount to Panasonic's + Nikon T2 Mount + TLS 800 + Swarovski Fieldscope    80 HD STM
     The whole set up backing on a 40cm long plate for installation on the Manfrotto 501 video head

II   ISO 100 with metering set at the centre-weight average mode.

III  Images were taken in the jpeg mode

IV  Reflections from the operation
1.  Focusing has to be done manually as the fieldscope and teleconverter are manual in built. On the whole easy, focusing is easy despite the fact that the camera's viewfinder is electronic.
2.  The image enlarging device is not that essential actually in avian digiscoping as the time available for you to take shots of birds is usually pretty short.
However, it has to be stressed that image sharpness will even be better if the image enlarging device is used. For dull birds like the one I took, readers here may consider using the device.
3.  The 4/3 sensor in G1 is okay on the whole. The resultant aperture after the adding of TLS800 on the fieldscope is f10. For birds in shadow positions, the shutter speed is sometimes as slow as 1/4sec or even less. The noise at ASA 100 at such a low light condition is acceptable. Perhaps, at ISO 200, the situation still stands.
4.  The resultant focal length of the fieldscope from using G1 turns out to be 1600mm. My device permits me to shoot both portrait and landscape mode, so it has to be pivotable on the central axis of the lens. The pivotability unavoidable invites vibration. Probably, in my shots, very slight vibration had come into play as I released the shutter; I had already used a cable release to help me. Or perhaps, because of the absence of auto focusing in the setup itself as well as the absence of image enlargement for pin-point focusing, there is still room for sharpness to be improved. Of course, it cannot be ruled out that TLS 800 itself is optically an expedient measure to convert a fieldscope into a supertelephotographic lens. There is inherent limitation in the teleconverter itself.
5.  A word on TLS800 as an alternative in mega-telephotographic avian shooting. In avian photography, we can explore possibilities using TLS800 or DSLRs on the fieldscope, but it seems from the point of view of vibration control, framing and mauverability in the field, the combo of using the compact digital camera and the eyepiece offers the most benefit.

Welcome to HKBWS Forum 香港觀鳥會討論區 (http://www.hkbws.org.hk/BBS/) Powered by Discuz! 6.0.0