Black-naped Oriole x 3
Brown shrike (lucionensis) x 1
Brown Shrike (cristatus) first winter x 1
White-shouldered Starling x 30+

[seen by others]
Purple-backed Starling
Chestnut-cheeked Starling
Author: brendank    Time: 2/10/2011 23:33

I can add a juvenile Male Blue-and-white Flycatcher by the pier and in the grasslands of the south peninsula I flushed a Pallas's Grasshopper Warbler, an Oriental Reed Warbler and two Brown Shrike.
Author: Ronaldo    Time: 3/10/2011 06:56

And a bright capped cisticola, also in the South Peninsula.
Author: kmatthew    Time: 5/10/2011 17:28

5/10/2011
Full list:
Cattle Egret x2
Reef Egret
Intermediate Egret x1
Black Kite
Chinese Goshawk x1 (by others)
Eurasian Hobby x1 (by others)
Oriental Turtle Dove x1
Spotted Dove x2
Dollarbird x1
Drongo Cuckoo x1
Black-winged Cuckoo-shrike x1
Red-Whiskered Bulbul
Chinese Bulbul
Yellow-Browed Warbler
Arctic Warbler
Pale-legged Leaf Warbler x1
Eastern Crowned Warbler x1
Grey-streaked Flycatcher
Asian Brown Flycatcher
Blue and White Flycatcher x1 juv. male
Paradise Flycatcher sp. x1 (too quick to identify)
Brown Shrike cristatus x1
Black Drongo
Hair-crested Drongo x1
Black-naped Oriole x10+
Large-billed Crow x1
White-shouldered Starling
Chestnut-cheeked Starling x1
Durian Starling x1
Crested Myna
Hill Myna x1 (With heavy tail damage)
Chinese Grosbeak x1

[ Last edited by kmatthew at 5/10/2011 21:00 ]
Author: Allen    Time: 11/10/2011 19:28

普通夜鷹 Grey Nightjar
Po Toi

Author: brendank    Time: 15/10/2011 20:25

15 October 2011

1 Yellow Bittern
1 Besra
2 Japanese Sparrowhawk
1 Peregrine Falcon
3 Brown Shrike
1 Drongo Cuckoo
1 Asian Paradise Flycatcher
4 Grey-streaked Flycatcher
5 Asian Brown Flycatcher
1 Dark-sided Flycatcher
1 Red-throated Flycatcher
1 Black-naped Oriole

Also heard someone mention an Oriental Honey Buzzard was seen today.
Author: wgeoff    Time: 16/10/2011 15:15

A number of people have asked what's happened to my weekly reports (thanks for that) so I thought I had better explain.

My father-in-law has been in hospital for three weeks and I can't stay or even go to Po Toi while he's there. Nothing serious but he's taking a long time to recover.

I hope to go back to Po Toi first week in November.

In the meantime, I'm pleased to read all the Po Toi postings here.

[ Last edited by wgeoff at 16/10/2011 16:51 ]
Author: ddavid    Time: 16/10/2011 18:43

Po Toi - Sunday October 16th

Eastern Cattle Egret - 1
Pacific Reef Heron - 2
Eastern Buzzard - 1
Common Sandpiper - 1
Red Turtle Dove - 1
Domestic Pigeon - 1 with a ring on its right leg - racing pigeon from Taiwan??
Common Kingfisher - 1
Grey Wagtail - 1-2
Grey-streaked Flycatcher - 4
Asian Brown Flycatcher - 5
Japanese Paradise Flycatcher - 1
Hair-crested Drongo - 3+
Black Drongo - 6
Yellow-browed Warbler - 6
Arctic Warbler sp. - 2
Dusky Warbler - 6
Brown Shrike - 1
Black-naped Oriole - 1
Black-winged Cuckoo-shrike - 1
Ashy Minivet - 1
Blue Rock Thrush - 1

Plus the long-staying Drongo Cuckoo - seen by others

Quite birdy for Po Toi really!!!

David
Author: Allen    Time: 17/10/2011 23:59

Po Toi

Add to David's report..
Eurasian Hobby - 1
Common Kestrel - 1
Oriental Turtle Dove - 1
Eastern Crowned Warbler - 1
Plain-tailed Warbler - 1 (Revised, incorrect id as Bianchi's Warbler before)

[ Last edited by Allen at 21/10/2011 19:17 ]
Author: wgeoff    Time: 18/10/2011 06:58

Good record Allen

And the Drongo Cuckoo is by far the longest and latest stayer of all (nine) HK records of this species.
Author: brendank    Time: 23/10/2011 19:54

Since Buttonquails are a targets of mine. I spent most of today walking the grass of the south peninsula. In the morning, I flushed a warbler three times in grass on the south peninsula. Each time I flushed it would fly low above the grass for about 8 meters and then drop down into the grass.  I was unable to get photos. The bird seemed slightly larger than a Pallas's Grasshopper Warbler but smaller than an Oriental Reed Warbler. The bird had a dark charcoal-brown head, back, rump and tail. The tail was thick and wedge shaped like a Pallas's Grasshopper Warbler. The underparts appeared sooty buff colored and there did not appear to be any streaking on either the underparts or upperparts.  

I believe the bird was Styan's, Middendorf's or Gray's Grasshopper Warbler. It was not a Pallas's Grasshopper warbler due to the dark rump and upperparts and it was not a Lanceolated Warbler based on the size and lack of streaking on the upperparts and underparts. I suspect it is a Styan's Grasshopper warbler because some photos of Middendorf's show it looking rather warm colored especially on the rump. This bird appeared much darker and cold colored. The bird did not respond to spishing and I didn't hear any calls. I tried for about 20 more minutes to relocate after flushing it a third time and I returned in the afternoon to look but could not relocate it.

In the afternoon I flushed a quail, but unfortunately from my prospective, it was a Japanese Quail and a Pallas's Grasshopper Warbler.

There were two Mugimaki Flycatcher's by the pier and someone mentioned an Black-naped Monarch and Yellow-breasted Bunting were seen.
Author: HFCheung    Time: 24/10/2011 20:06

In the last two outings to Po Toi, I realised that there were few HK residents at Po Toi.  For example, Japanese White-eye seems to be totally absent, and the no. of Bulbuls are very low.  Black-necked Starling, Masked Laughingthrush, Greater Coucal, Great Tit, Great Tit were not recorded and Crested Myna was seen briefly on last Sunday.  The bird density is also very low.  Then I realised that Peregrine Falcon were at the cliff of the South Peninsula, and a Crested Goshawk were around the main area.  I wonder whether these two Raptors were responsible for the departure of the common residents.

HF Cheung
Author: wcaptain    Time: 25/10/2011 09:53

I doubted. Peregrine Falcon is good at capturing open country birds but not very good at well vegetated areas. The usual prey items of Crested Goshawk are likely to be lizards, insects and even bats. The "absence" of small birds like JWE is unlikely driven by the raptors.

But their activities should be affected by nearby raptors. The "absence" of birds in a small island should be affected by various factors, e.g. food availability and human activities etc.

I guess they are not really absence, they may just move to another part of the island or hide inside the bush due to the two raptors.  

Just like the birds at TPK. Sometimes they are very easily to be seen but sometimes TPK is dead and silent.

How about moulting? I was told during the moulting period, they are relatively silent.
Author: wgeoff    Time: 25/10/2011 16:32

Although I haven't been seriously birdwatching on Po Toi for several weeks, I doubt there has been any change in the numbers of resident species.

The following species are resident on Po Toi - Pacific Reef Egret, Black Kite, Spotted Dove, Greater and Lesser Coucal, Red-whiskered and Chinese Bulbul, Long-tailed Shrike, Magpie Robin, Blue Whistling Thrush, Masked Laughingthrush, Common Tailorbird, Crested Myna and Large-billed Crow. Peregrine and Sea Eagle are occasional visitors.

Autumn is usually a quiet time for most of these residents, perhaps because of moulting as Captain says.
Japanese White-eye are not resident and are usually absent in September/October. They will come back in November and mostly depart before next summer. Black-necked Starling and Great Tit are also not resident and rare or totally absent. Greater Coucal are quiet at this time of the year.

[ Last edited by wgeoff at 25/10/2011 16:38 ]

Welcome to HKBWS Forum 香港觀鳥會討論區 (http://www.hkbws.org.hk/BBS/) Powered by Discuz! 6.0.0