Board logo

Subject: Purple Swamphen at Mai Po [Print This Page]

Author: ajohn    Time: 31/03/2013 21:53     Subject: Purple Swamphen at Mai Po

A Purple Swamphen was seen today at Mai Po. Purple Swamphen is currently on Category 3 of the HK list (i.e. a probable escape) but breeds as close as Haifeng, about 100km to the east, and so could potentially occur here, and it may be worth looking out if you are visiting Mai Po in coming days. I didn't have a camera so I don't have any photos.

Unfortunately the sighting was from an area of reedbed in Gei wai #8b which does not have general access to visitors. However, it was seen to arrive across Gei wai #10 and eventually flew off to another part of the reedbed at #8b, which suggests it may be fairly mobile. It would perhaps be worth looking for the bird either from the road next to Gei wai #8b, #10 or #11, or on Pond #8a in front of the Tower Hide.

Hopefully the bird will stay a while for others to enjoy the opportunity to see it. Previous birds in HK have stayed for several months (or even years!) and the habitat at Mai Po would appear suitable for the species. So good luck if you try looking for this bird!

Welcome to HKBWS Forum 香港觀鳥會討論區 (http://www.hkbws.org.hk/BBS/) Powered by Discuz! 6.0.0