Board logo

Subject: About dogs in the fishponds [Print This Page]

Author: parrotkeen    Time: 7/06/2022 12:56     Subject: About dogs in the fishponds

So I got attacked by dogs twice when going to the fishponds. One in Tai Sang Wai and one in Mai Po.

Once when we were going to Tai Sang Wai, I suddenly saw a pack of dogs stalking me. However, a car scared the dogs away. But when I was near the exit, a pack of dogs barked at me angrily, but luckily, the owner was there to stop them and calm everything down.

The second time when we were taking the more open exit to Mai Po, another pack of dogs barked at me. The only way I could pass was to ask the owner to keep their dogs in check.

I don't quite understand the reason why there are dogs around the fishponds, or it's just me. I think the owners should keep their dogs in check so that they don't attack anyone and that birdwatchers can go to these sites without fear. What are your thoughts on this?
Author: irsychan    Time: 7/06/2022 14:16

I had similar experience when birding at Mai Po some years ago.  Along the restricted road of Mai Po, not too far away from the entrance drop bar with red 'stop' sign and the white restricted road sign 'Except with Permit', there were two village houses that keep dogs.  On many cases, when I walked or cycled past these houses, the dogs came out from the unlocked gate and barked and chased me.  Eventually I purchased an ultrasonic dog repellent, which proved effective.  The dogs stopped barking and turned away when I pressed the button of the repellent.  
There are two watch-its:  (1) There are many so called 'ultrasonic dog repellent' which are not effective - better bring a dog to test before purchase (2) Check battery before birding trip - the worst time to find out that the repellent has dead battery is when you press the button and the barking dogs continue to close in.
Quote:
Original posted by parrotkeen at 7/06/2022 12:56
So I got attacked by dogs twice when going to the fishponds. One in Tai Sang Wai and one in Mai Po.

Once when we were going to Tai Sang Wai, I suddenly saw a pack of dogs stalking me. However, a car ...

Author: hkwongkit    Time: 7/06/2022 18:59

Quote:
Original posted by irsychan at 7/06/2022 14:16
I had similar experience when birding at Mai Po some years ago.  Along the restricted road of Mai Po, not too far away from the entrance drop bar with red 'stop' sign and the white restricted road sig ...
Same here. I ended up getting a similar device like this one ...
Dog Dazer II Ultrasonic Dog Deterrent
https://www.amazon.com/Dog-Dazer ... 54598425&sr=8-7

That was years ago when I frequent MPNR almost weekly. Apparently this has not changed.
Sadly those irresponsible dog owners/villagers never learn ...
It's a public road after all!
Author: parrotkeen    Time: 8/06/2022 07:23

If they wanted to protect their homes, couldn't they have kept them inside or put them on a chain?
Author: parrotkeen    Time: 8/06/2022 10:39

Quote:
Original posted by hkwongkit at 7/06/2022 18:59

Same here. I ended up getting a similar device like this one ...
Dog Dazer II Ultrasonic Dog Deterrent
https://www.amazon.com/Dog-Dazer ... r_1_7?keywords=ultr ...
Should I file a complaint?

Welcome to HKBWS Forum 香港觀鳥會討論區 (http://www.hkbws.org.hk/BBS/) Powered by Discuz! 6.0.0