Board logo

Subject: [Kingfisher] White-throated Kingfisher [Print This Page]

Author: lwingkay    Time: 5/01/2008 21:59     Subject: White-throated Kingfisher

CUHK
Jan 5, 2008
Swar 80ATS + 30x + Nikon P5100
ISO200

Image Attachment: DSCN0962c.jpg (5/01/2008 21:59, 0 Bytes) / Download count 1285
http://www.hkbws.org.hk/BBS/attachment.php?aid=1360

Author: tbob    Time: 5/01/2008 22:39

Wingkay,

I would like to suggest that for shots like this that you dial in more exposure compensation so that the whites don't burn up. I noticed that you have -.7 try at least -1.0, as the camera doesn't shoot raw it is virtually impossible to recover the lost detail in the white areas when shooting jpeg.

Good luck and Happy 2008

Bob
Author: tbob    Time: 5/01/2008 22:40

Delete - double posted
Author: lwingkay    Time: 5/01/2008 22:57

[quote:0d12711660="tbob"]Wingkay,
I would like to suggest that for shots like this that you dial in more exposure compensation so that the whites don't burn up. I noticed that you have -.7 try at least -1.0, as the camera doesn't shoot raw it is virtually impossible to recover the lost detail in the white areas when shooting jpeg.
Bob[/quote]

Thanks. I have been thinking that in the case of this shot, the white in there is beyond the plus-or-minus-two-and-a-half-stop limit that can be tolerated in the grey scale. As a matter of fact, I have tuned brighter the shot a little bit in order to show the details in the brown; in the original, the brown is a bit dead in texture and unrevealing in details.
Perhaps, Nikon's C8400 is a good choice for taking raw images for post treatment in order to compensate limitation imposed by the LCD monitor operating in daylight environment.
Author: cwchan    Time: 5/01/2008 23:13

For this kind of subject, if there is a great difference in EV for the white and dark brown, it is better not to take it at strong and contrasty sunlight. I think it is the only way to solve. I don't think RAW can compenste this.

Wing
Author: lwingkay    Time: 5/01/2008 23:30

[quote:6072b487c3="cchakwing"]For this kind of subject, if there is a great difference in EV for the white and dark brown, it is better not to take it at strong and contrasty sunlight. I think it is the only way to solve. I don't think RAW can compenste this.

Wing[/quote]

You are dead right.

Welcome to HKBWS Forum 香港觀鳥會討論區 (http://www.hkbws.org.hk/BBS/) Powered by Discuz! 6.0.0