Thread
Print

White Wagtail ssp personata at Ping Che 16 Jan 2009

White Wagtail ssp personata at Ping Che 16 Jan 2009

John Allcock has found a White Wagtail of the subspecies personata at Ping Che, only the 3rd record.

Directions: From Sha Tau Kok Road, turn left into the road leading to the Northern NT Landfill. Just before you reach the landfill, turn left into Ng Chow Road. After about 100 metres, there's a small T-junction. Turn sharp left and look for the bird in the DSD drainage channel or in the nearby field.

I have (hopefully) attached a map showing the location of the wagtail and the easiest access route, as described by Richard.
The bird is still in non-breeding plumage, but appears to be starting moult into breeding plumage. Much of the face is extensively white, but with a very large black bib connecting to the black crown, creating a 'hooded' appearance. The mantle is pale grey (similar to ocularis).

When I found it, it seemed very settled feeding in the channel - when disturbed it flew into the adjacent (burnt) field or occasionally onto the road. From its behaviour, there seems a good chance it will stay for a while.

According to the Avifauna, the only previous HK records were in April 1984 and March 1996. Personata breeds in Central Asia and has been suggested as a potential split from White Wagtail.

Other good birds in the Ping Che area today included Eyebrowed Thrush (adult male) and Buff-bellied Pipit.

Attachment

personata.jpg (159.68 KB)

16/01/2010 20:29

personata.jpg

-White Wagtail (Personata)
(Ping Che, Jan 16 afternoon)

[ Last edited by kpokuen at 18/01/2010 11:26 ]

Personata Wagtail (photo)

Dear P K

It would be appreciated if you kindly tell the forum where and when you took the photo. From the day and time you posted it, it seems to be a photo of another bird you took some time ago.

Your understanding of my enquiry would again be appreciated.

S L Tai

Thanks Kwan for posting the photo. I understand several observers have now seen this bird (it's certainly still present this morning)

Sorry if the news didn't reach you on Saturday, Mr Tai. I did try contacting people when I found the bird and I know some people made it that day. Unfortunately I wasn't home until the evening to post full details (which is why Richard kindly posted on my behalf) and I don't have phone numbers for many of the HK birders/photographers. I hope you have the chance to make it there over the next few days - the bird seems very settled so hopefully it will stay for a while.

The bird was showing very well this lunchtime and was continuing to feed in the channel.

Thanks to Mr Allcock for posting such useful directions.

White Wagtail ssp. "personata"

Thanks to John A. for finding this and posting ACE directions.  Thanks also for the text messages, Martin and Mike.

We parked opposite the burnt field, looked back, and it was standing on the railings.

2010-Jan-17 (Sunday)

Attachment

hk258_personata-01.jpg (82.21 KB)

18/01/2010 16:17

hk258_personata-01.jpg

http://johnjemi.hk

White wagtail personata

Dear John

Thank you for taking your concern over my enquiry.

The matter here is that any one posting either a message or a photo or a reply should make known some
basic data. Obviously, date, time and location are important.

In P K's case, though his photo is obvious for some smart boys, I am not one of them. So I looked upon his photo implying guesswork as regards data stated above and therefore insisted a little on the convention agreed upon the forum. I hope I'm not asking too much upon him and any photographer who posts photos to the forum. Anyhow, his message must be supposed to be delivered to all, not insiders.

John, thank you again for your courtesy. I hope your kind has not become uncommon nowadays.

Lastly, I hope I have been at least objective and my messages have not been read to be delivered to offend and create general ill-feeling upon fellow birders.

S L Tai

Is this the same as the subspecies of White Wagtail that is common in Yunnan?

The common wagtail in Yunnan is alboides, which is similar but with a black back. Personata breeds in Central Asia (including Xinjiang) and migrates south in winter (mostly to India I think)

Thanks a lot for John's reply and accurately pointing out the distribution of and the difference between these 2 subspecies. Differentiation betweeen them has been difficult for me because these 2 subspecies have quite similar appearance and some White Wagtails (alboides) have a dark grey back.

White Wagtail race personata, India, Dec09

White Wagtails race alboides, Yunnan, Nov08

Congratulations to John A. on spotting this White Wagtail(personata) which is so rare in HK.
Thanks to Kwan and John H. for posting photos of this White Wagtail.

[ Last edited by cywong at 20/01/2010 22:26 ]

Thread