Thread
Print

[Boobies] (修正) 紅腳鰹鳥 幼鳥 Red-footed Booby Immature

Up to about two o'clock the bird was just off Sham Chung pier, and thus easily visible from land if you walk round there from Yung Shue O.

Mike Turnbull

As I indicated in an earlier post in the middle part of the day in was just off Sham Chung pier, about a kilometer or so from where first seen as I understand it ie near United World College, where there is a seaside restaurant called the Country Inn, and loads of parking. Again as I said, while at Sham Chung it could be seen very well from land, if you walked the 30 mins (or so?) from where the road ends at Yung Shue O.

However, I believe it had been fairly mobile, having been over near Plover Cove at one point. When I found it it was actually on the rocks c 50 m S/W of Sham Chung pier, and then on the water, and it flew once while we were with it.

It does not seem seriously ill  - though who knows? - and was a bit of a 'booby', allowing quite close approach and drifting towards the boat quite happily.

It became a nicer little earner for one boatman - who looked very familiar, does he crew on the boat we go out onto southern waters in? He was charging $600 for the trip, but was generous with his time really and very pleasant in his manner.

Mike Turnbull

[ Last edited by tmichael at 19/06/2010 22:05 ]

Thread