Thread
Print

[Hong Kong] Po Toi Wind Farm

Po Toi Wind Farm

In today's Standard there is talk of a wind farm on Po Toi !!!

saw the news this morning too! so shocked!!
But then I searched micro turbine with the company name in the internet (e.g. http://www.hku.hk/press/news_detail_5535.html). Then I remember that I have watched news on the invention of this micro turbine on tv. I GUESS this kind of turbine probably does not pose the same threat to bird as the tranditional turbine...hopefully. The physically structure of this kind of micro turbine is rather different. But, of course, where these structures should be installed is still a topic to study.

I've seen one of these installed on a hoarding in Admiralty. It's not a traditional wind farm, quite a small unit.

This is the mad French inventor Lucian Gambarota who tried to install an electrical generator powered by sea waves a few years ago off the east coast of Po Toi. It failed when it was washed away in the first typhoon.

Why he insists on working on Po Toi I don't know but you can be sure the locals know all about him and won't be interested in his new idea. Their power is now free thanks to PCCW.

today chinese newspaper saying that it's a 100m x 10m wind farm wall in southern Po Toi.

Will it need planning permission?

I've not seen or heard of any definite proposal which states exact location, size etc.

Thread