Thread
Print

[Lapwings] Grey-headed Lapwings

Grey-headed Lapwings

17 Oct 2010--South China Sea just outside of Aberdeen.

Ever since coming to HK I have been looking for this species at Long Valley, Kam Tin, Mai Po and Pui O and missed birds that had been reported by hours numerous times.  But seems I needed to be going on more pelagic trips as the South China Sea is this species preferred habitat.

They're easiest to see at Kam Tin, where they spend the whole winter, but you sometimes need to know where to look. The Kam Tin Main Drainage Channel has been the best spot for the last couple of years (since the Buffalo Fields were filled) - try the area close to the Castle Peak Road bridge (i.e. furthest from Kam Tin town, before you reach Nam Sang Wai) or the nearby meanders, preferably at low tide.
There were at least 13 back at KT last week.

I had went to Kam Tin a few times last year but seems I should have checked that area more carefully.  Is there any water left in the buffalo fields or is it all gone?

Grey-headed Lapwings

Brendan,

Sadly, the buffalo fields are pretty comprehensively "trashed".  There is still some cultivated habitat in the area, though behind fencing or barbed wire.

Eleven Grey-headed Lapwing were in the main drainage channel this morning.

John
http://johnjemi.hk

Thread