Thread
Print

Po Toi Autumn 2010 - November

Geoff, I can't help but get the impression that birds tend to arrive early on Po Toi than most other places in HK? Have you ever compared your arrival dates to arrival dates of other locations in HK?

Yes it's quite interesting regarding the timing. This would support your speculation that Po Toi birds follow the costal route. I have the impression that migration on Po Shan Road tends to be rather late.  The November Arctic Warblers, Blue-and-white Flycatcher and Japanese Paradise Flycatcher would examples of birds I have had which seem a tad bit late.

Yes, I agree that Po Toi gets more coverage than everywhere else in HK after to Mai Po and LV.  However, if early arrival dates were a function of the greater observer coverage I would expect an equal number of late migration dates.  Geoff can correct me if I am wrong, but this does not appear to be the case.

Lots of Bush Warblers on Po Toi today--even managed to get a shot of both species.

5 Pale Thrush
1 White's Thrush
1 Japanese Thrush
1 Common Blackbird
2+ Manchurian Bush Warbler
2+ Brownish-flanked Bush Warbler
2 possible Chestnut-flanked White-eyes (they did not seem to have any chestnut on the sides.  Yet there call sounded so much softer than a normal White-eye. Do Chestnut-flanked White-eyes always have chestnut flanks?)

On HK Island Blackbirds numbers are still rising and will peak around the end of December but on Po Toi they seem to have all left.

Attachment

BrBushWarb.JPG (87.14 KB)

27/11/2010 22:22

BrBushWarb.JPG

JapBushWarb.JPG (71.8 KB)

27/11/2010 22:22

JapBushWarb.JPG

Thread