Thread
Print

Bunting ID

Bunting ID

21 Nov 2010
Po Toi
Photos taken at dusk.

There is no obvious yellow supercilium. Is it a Tristram's Bunting, yellow-browed Bunting or something else? Thanks.

Look like Rustic Bunting!
FHS Wildlife Photography
https://www.facebook.com/fhsphotographyy

Broad rufous flank streaks, ear spot,2 wing bars, scalloped chestnut rump, uneven long primary projection. Looks great for a 1w female Rustic; a 1 winter male would be more solid black around the ear covert spot.An adult female supercilium would probably look whiter, this looks 'off white' from here! Great find and pictures.
Ric

Looks like Rustic to me on what I can see here.
So that's Po Toi's 300th species is it? Or is it already on the list?

Mike Turnbull

I was uncertain about this at first - it didn't look rustic (red-brown) enough on the flanks and the throat pattern seemed too well-defined.

But after looking more closely, I think the red-brown marks on the nape and coverts seen on photos 2 and 3 are distinctive of Rustic, as well as some points mentioned above. But maybe a first-winter male - the head pattern looks fairly dark to me.

I hope I'm not wrong. It would be 300 for Po Toi, and well worth a lunch at the restaurant.

[ Last edited by wgeoff at 22/11/2010 06:47 ]

Thanks for all expert opinions.
Lucky day. 21 Nov 2010.
Po Toi

Black Kite
Crested Goshawk
Japanese Sparrowhawk
Common Buzzard
Oriental Turtle Dove
Greater Coucal
White Wagtail
Chestnut Bulbul
Red-whiskered Bulbul
Chinese Bulbul
Magpie Robin
Red-flanked Bluetail
Daurian Redstart
Pale Thrush
Eyebrowed Thrush
Blue Whistling Thrush
Blackbird
Asian Stubtail
Common Tailorbird
Mountain Tailorbird
Yellow-browed Warbler
Pallas's Leaf Warbler
Black-naped Monarch
Japanese White-eye
Large-billed Crow
Red-billed Starling
Crested Myna
Eurasian Siskin
Chestnut Bunting
Rustic Bunting

[ Last edited by ctakming at 22/11/2010 22:54 ]

Hi, I would like to know whether this is a Rustic Bunting.

The photos were taken at Po Toi also on 21/11.

Sorry for the poor quality of the photos since they are so far away (the other size of the river and in the dark area)

[ Last edited by lyatming at 22/11/2010 23:45 ]

Not certain but I don't think so - too many apparent differences on a quick comparison.

Look at flank streaking for example.

Mike Turnbull

These transitional buntings are really tricky!
Rustic and Tristram's would have a supercilium that was as clear as the submoustachial stripe.
Common Reed Bunting crossed my mind but as there is a suggestion of a pale mantle stripe and I don't think odd habitat on migration is a justified  problem, but I am not of aware of races with a two tone bill..
Whether juvenile Chestnut Bunting can look like this is beyond my experience, I would be surprised if the lateral throat stripe could be this prominent, but I like to hear other peoples opinion on  this. Of course in the  field  you know you can rule Chestnut Bunting out if you saw white on the outer tail feathers.
There's a suggestion of grey at the sides of the neck - if this isn't an artefact or misplaced downy feathers, with the two tone bill, bubble gum pink legs and general jizz I think it's probably  a Black faced Bunting.Not sure what else it could really be, but I'm open to suggestions!
Ric

Looks like typical female type Black-faced Bunting to me!

It did to me too, btw, but I just restricted my comment to observing that it wasn't the putative Rustic Bunting, plus the images are not really that clear.

Mike Turnbull

thx all experts.

Thread