Thread
Print

Lung Fu Shan Winter 2010-2011

Frreezing cold and rainy today, but that bird must be the best reward!

No sight of small niltava at 12:45-14:30. But an emerald dove and 2 adule male, 2 imm. male and 2-3 female red-flanked bluetail were in there.

Other than niltavas, a Brown bush warbler was there.
I am not so familiar with ID of bush warbler. But the calling, color, and no eye brow are all pointed to the Brown bush warbler.
I hope I ID it right and I wish someone could find it and take some photos for it.

It was at the position of female small niltava. But it was on the middle position of a tall tree.

Chun

A female and a male small niltavas are still there.

A 2nd hand information as well.
A male fujian niltava was seen in today morning at Pik Shan Path.
I am thinking if there are two individuals in LFS now...

31-1-2011

Around 15 individuals of rufous-tailed robin are in upper part of LFS and two black-winged cuckoo-shrikes also.

10-2-2011
At HKU, a strange thrush appeared in HKU campus.
I think it is probably a female black-throated thrush!

It had a obvious white throat, a pale breast band without big spots like Dusky thrush. Its head and face did not have any pattern (e.g. eye brows) like eye-browed thrush and pale thrush. The overall color tone was dark grey and its head and back were of the same color. Whole body of it did not have orange feather. The bill color looked dark yellow or orange but did not like a Japanese thrush and Common blackbird. The size of it was about the blackbird's size.

All characteristics seem pointed toward a black-throated thrush (dark-throated thrush?). But it was obvious that the wing of it had a white patch. I cannot tell if the white patch was moulting feathers.

[ Last edited by fatchun at 10/02/2011 20:02 ]

It is seen again today. I could now tell what the white patch on the wing was.
It is a moulting bird with fluffy feathers. I could see the hanging white feather on its wing today. Also, I could see two black stripes on two sides of it's throat.
Unfortunately, it was chased by a blue-whistling thrush and flew away before Brendan came. We then cannot find it again.

Would it be other juvenile thrush species other then black/red-throated thrush?? thank you so much!

Chun

[ Last edited by fatchun at 11/02/2011 09:16 ]

Thread