Thread
Print

Lung Fu Shan Winter 2010-2011

9 Jan 11 - Po Shan Road

Hadn't been to Po Shan Road in a while. Didn't expect much but it was pretty good.

5 Pale Thrush (first definite Pale Thrush for Po Shan Road)
2 Verditer Flycatcher
1 Rufous-tailed Robin
1 Red-flanked Bluetail
Pallas's Leaf Warbler--numerous
Yellow-browed Warbler--numerous

By LFS Environmental Education, 1 Black-winged Cuckooshrike

A male Red-flanked Bluetail was by the Kotewall Road firestation today.  For a long time I could only see it's back and thought it was the Niltava. Also, a flyover Hair-crested Drongo.

Could you be more specific on the area? On Pik Shan path, on Kotewell Road, or above the firestation on the peak road?

No way! Wow!

Small Niltava seen this morning above the firestation. Also several Pale Thrush, Grey-backed Thrush, Red-flanked Bluetails and 3 Besra. As of 10:45 no Fujian Niltava.

20 Jan 2011-Po Shan Road

1 Verditer Flycatcher
3 Mountain Taylorbirds
6 Pale Thrush (showing reasonably well)
1 Grey-backed Thrush

I received a secondhand report of the Fujian Niltava and a Dusky Thrush yesterday at Pinewood Battery.

I looked there this morning.  Best birds were a flock of 12 Black Bulbuls migrating over HK Island.

[ Last edited by brendank at 26/01/2011 18:52 ]

Fujian Niltava just seen near Graduate House on University Drive. From the road follow a little dirt workman's trail (which eventually connects with Pik Shan Path) up 20 meters. The bird was in this area.

27 Jan 2011

Here is a picture of Fujian Niltava from this morning.  I wish I could have photographed the belly better so I could be sure it wasn't a Rufous-bellied Niltava.  

I wonder if there might be three "Fujian" Niltavas around. I saw a picture of Niltava at Pinewood Battery. It was also difficult to eliminate Rufous-bellied from that photo.  It seems that this spot, the spot of Herman's bird, and Pinewood Battery are quite far apart. Maybe these birds move a lot but I find it a bit surprising that are a moving around so much. My guess is there are at least 2 birds.

The Fujian Niltava is being seen now on the workman's trail connecting University drive to Pik Shan Path about 40 meters from University Drive. These shots clearly rule out Rufous-bellied Niltava. I think it probably the same individual Herman found a few weeks ago above the firehall.

No Japanese Robin (seen on the road between Realty Garden and the end of Po Shan Rd yesterday) on Po Shan Road this morning.

Quite birdy otherwise:

6 Asian Stubtail Warbler
4 Rufous-tailed Robin
5 Pale Thrush   
2 Grey-backed Thrush
1 Greater Coucal

February 1, 2011

Japanese Robin seen at 9:35 am.

Location: look at this map. It was seen about where the "B" in Besra is.

http://www.hkbws.org.hk/BBS/redi ... 73&goto=newpost

The Fujian Niltava is still on the workmen's trail.  Some photographers for better or worse have been baiting the Niltava which probably explains its tame behavior recently.

[ Last edited by brendank at 25/02/2011 13:04 ]

Female Small Niltava and male Fujian Niltava were still present at Lung Fu Shan today.

Thread