Thread
Print

[Ducks] Mandarin Duck

Mandarin Duck

12 March 2011--Tai Shan River

I think it is wild... Seems rather shy like a wild bird.  Thanks Allan!

My comment that the bird was shy was based on this. When I arrived at 5:00 pm at the site no bird was present.  After walking around the area for a while, I returned to the spot at 6:00 pm at which point the bird was present.  When I started photographing it, it swam away and hid in the grass mostly out of few.

If there is an aviculturist nearby that is worrying. However, as with the Hawfinch and Red-headed Buntings I find it strange when different individual birds show up at different sites.  Why should two Mandarin Ducks escape at the same period in time? Geoff Carey's explanation with regards to the Hawfinch makes since but I would think Mandarin Ducks would be prized possessions and not likely disposed of in the way a Hawfinch would be.

I am surprised that there aren't more birds seen on Hong Kong reservoirs (e.g. Hok Tau, Ho Pui, Shing Mun) in general. I would think they would at least be able to have some wintering Tufted Ducks, Common Teals, Little Grebes, etc.  It seems at best they get a migrant Little Grebe once and a while.

Thread