Thread
Print

Narcissus Flycatcher-Owstoni 琉球姬鶲

Narcissus Flycatcher-Owstoni 琉球姬鶲

Small Kinmen 小金門
24-3-2011
The bird was seen more than 15 minutes. It seems some yellow feather on its rump, different from the Hong Kong one? Is it the same Owstoni species?

Shek Kong-Hong Kong 香港,石崗
13-4-2011

Bill               Early enthusiast gets more birds

Just my guess.  The one you saw in Kinmen may be a male Green-backed Flycatcher (綠背姬鶲) that should be split into another subspecies.

Any other experienced birders please comment and thank you for sharing your great photos.
Manson Tsang
雀鳥科

With reference to the Birds of Hong Kong & South China,. The bird in MBill’s photo is not Green Backed Flycatcher, it has a long supercilium, whereas supercilium of Green Backed Flycatcher is very short, do not extend to the back of the eye.

I also visited BirdsKorea.Organization the following website, a study report talking about the identification of Narcissus Flycatcher :

http://www.birdskorea.org/Birds/ ... atchers-types.shtml

I am not an expert, I am not able to 100% fully understand the content of the report. However, the study report said the Narcissus Flycatcher is presently considered to contain three distinctive subspecies – nominate narcissina Black backed, owstoni Olive-backed and elisae Green-backed,

Appendix of the Study Report provided tables with Summary of Identification Feature, the bird photo by MBill is a full adult male, so Full Adult Males (Table 2) of the Appendix is selected for identification purpose, finally I would suggest the bird is an owstoni Olive-backed for the following reasons:

-        No prominent eye-ring (elisae has prominent, yellow eye-ring)
-        Mantle and crown vary from moss or olive-green to blackish green (narcissina’s mantle and crown is black in color.)
-        Distinct yellow supercilium (narcissina’s supercilium is also distinct but orange-yellow; elisae usually has indistinct supercilium)
-        Yellow throat (narcissina’s throat is fiery orange)

Please correct if I am wrong.

参考香港及華南鳥類,這鳥不是綠背姬鶲,因為牠眉紋很長,綠背姬鶲是眼先短紋。

偶然在以下網頁看到韓國鳥會有關怎樣辨認黃眉姬鶲的一篇文章:
http://www.birdskorea.org/Birds/ ... atchers-types.shtml
我不是專家,未能看憧全篇文章。無論如何,文章指出黃眉姬鶲包括三個有特色的亞種 - nominate narcissina 黑背,owstoni 硫球和elisae 綠背。
文章最後有附錄例出不同的摘要以附表形式來辨認不同的亞種,由於MBill所拍到的是成年雄鳥,所以我參考附錄裹的成年雄鳥(附表2)來辨別這隻鳥,最後我提議牠是owstoni硫球亞種,原因如下:
-        沒有明顯的眼圈 (elisae 綠背有明顯的黃眼圈)
-        背部和冠顏色多變,由笞蘚色或橄欖色至墨綠色都有 (nominate narcissina 黑背的背部和冠的顏色是黑色的)
-        清楚的黃眉紋 (nominate narcissina 黑背的眉紋是很清楚的橙黃色,但elisae 綠背的眼紋通常是不明顯,或祇有眼先短紋)
-        咽喉黃色 (nominate narcissina 黑背的繁殖羽有火紅色的咽喉)

如有錯漏,請指正。
tpluk

I agree with your assessment tpluk, and I agree that this bird is an adult male owstoni.
Note that, elisae is treated as a different species in Hong Kong (unlike Birds Korea) and that owstoni may also be split in future.

John, thank you. I have used a lot of time to read through the long report (about 30 pages), perhaps this is my reward.
tpluk

Thread