Thread
Print

[Hong Kong] 南丫島東澳灣大型發展申請 Development Proposal at Tung O, Lamma

I found a copy of this proposal on my landlord's table on Po Toi this week.

I think you can be sure that Po Toi residents are looking carefully to see what happens to this, and whether something similar can be done on Po Toi.

[ Last edited by wgeoff at 12/05/2011 18:16 ]

I think a campaign to have Po Toi declared an SSSI would be strongly opposed by the residents and probably be unsuccessful.

Better to hold your fire until a really serious threat arises. Most of these development projects don't make financial sense (like Tung O) and never come to anything. Po Toi is such a remote location it makes even less financial sense. We had a golf course proposal 5 years ago that came to nothing, then recently a wind farm which has also come to nothing.

Better to keep the residents happy and allow them to dream of making millions.

The biggest threat to Po Toi habitat at the moment comes from concrete grave sites - another bush area above the upper school has been cut down recently. Unfortunately, there's no shortage of applicants for gravesites at the moment, given that over 1000 people lived on Po Toi in the 1950's. And the graves seem to be getting bigger, an extreme example of residential one-upmanship.

[ Last edited by wgeoff at 14/05/2011 04:53 ]

Thread