Thread
Print

Po Toi October 2011

I can add a juvenile Male Blue-and-white Flycatcher by the pier and in the grasslands of the south peninsula I flushed a Pallas's Grasshopper Warbler, an Oriental Reed Warbler and two Brown Shrike.

15 October 2011

1 Yellow Bittern
1 Besra
2 Japanese Sparrowhawk
1 Peregrine Falcon
3 Brown Shrike
1 Drongo Cuckoo
1 Asian Paradise Flycatcher
4 Grey-streaked Flycatcher
5 Asian Brown Flycatcher
1 Dark-sided Flycatcher
1 Red-throated Flycatcher
1 Black-naped Oriole

Also heard someone mention an Oriental Honey Buzzard was seen today.

Since Buttonquails are a targets of mine. I spent most of today walking the grass of the south peninsula. In the morning, I flushed a warbler three times in grass on the south peninsula. Each time I flushed it would fly low above the grass for about 8 meters and then drop down into the grass.  I was unable to get photos. The bird seemed slightly larger than a Pallas's Grasshopper Warbler but smaller than an Oriental Reed Warbler. The bird had a dark charcoal-brown head, back, rump and tail. The tail was thick and wedge shaped like a Pallas's Grasshopper Warbler. The underparts appeared sooty buff colored and there did not appear to be any streaking on either the underparts or upperparts.  

I believe the bird was Styan's, Middendorf's or Gray's Grasshopper Warbler. It was not a Pallas's Grasshopper warbler due to the dark rump and upperparts and it was not a Lanceolated Warbler based on the size and lack of streaking on the upperparts and underparts. I suspect it is a Styan's Grasshopper warbler because some photos of Middendorf's show it looking rather warm colored especially on the rump. This bird appeared much darker and cold colored. The bird did not respond to spishing and I didn't hear any calls. I tried for about 20 more minutes to relocate after flushing it a third time and I returned in the afternoon to look but could not relocate it.

In the afternoon I flushed a quail, but unfortunately from my prospective, it was a Japanese Quail and a Pallas's Grasshopper Warbler.

There were two Mugimaki Flycatcher's by the pier and someone mentioned an Black-naped Monarch and Yellow-breasted Bunting were seen.

Thread