Thread
Print

Po Toi October 2011

A number of people have asked what's happened to my weekly reports (thanks for that) so I thought I had better explain.

My father-in-law has been in hospital for three weeks and I can't stay or even go to Po Toi while he's there. Nothing serious but he's taking a long time to recover.

I hope to go back to Po Toi first week in November.

In the meantime, I'm pleased to read all the Po Toi postings here.

[ Last edited by wgeoff at 16/10/2011 16:51 ]

Good record Allen

And the Drongo Cuckoo is by far the longest and latest stayer of all (nine) HK records of this species.

Although I haven't been seriously birdwatching on Po Toi for several weeks, I doubt there has been any change in the numbers of resident species.

The following species are resident on Po Toi - Pacific Reef Egret, Black Kite, Spotted Dove, Greater and Lesser Coucal, Red-whiskered and Chinese Bulbul, Long-tailed Shrike, Magpie Robin, Blue Whistling Thrush, Masked Laughingthrush, Common Tailorbird, Crested Myna and Large-billed Crow. Peregrine and Sea Eagle are occasional visitors.

Autumn is usually a quiet time for most of these residents, perhaps because of moulting as Captain says.
Japanese White-eye are not resident and are usually absent in September/October. They will come back in November and mostly depart before next summer. Black-necked Starling and Great Tit are also not resident and rare or totally absent. Greater Coucal are quiet at this time of the year.

[ Last edited by wgeoff at 25/10/2011 16:38 ]

Thread