Thread
Print

[Hong Kong] 蒲台 Po Toi - scrub clearance/possible development

I have just returned from my first visit to Po Toi since 17th January, with Ronaldo (Abdel) and Jennifer Leung.

The scrub clearance and laying of concrete squares is now much more extensive and has started in the important migrant bird area of 'green-pigeon valley' up to the upper reservoir. This is also the Romer's Tree Frog stronghold.

Lands Department have issued 'Stop Work' notices but unfortunately these do not cover the areas mentioned above, for some reason. We will follow this up with Lands Department.

Visitors this spring will find some ugly scars over this whole area, but birds are very resilient and I'm hoping it won't have too much effect. We managed to see Red-flanked Bluetail and Stubtail Warbler within a few feet of the developments, as well as White's Thrush, Japanese Thrush and Grey-capped Greenfinch elsewhere. But if they continue working the area, there may be a lot of human disturbance.

I'm also concerned that the path to the south Peninsular will become an impassable bog in the rainy season now they have cleared surrounding vegetation.

[ Last edited by wgeoff at 22/02/2012 05:24 ]

Photos of the valley after the sister's cafe - before and now

The bamboo on the right of both photos is the same

[ Last edited by wgeoff at 22/02/2012 08:11 ]

This is very good news.

Congratulations to Beetle and his fellow supporters in WWF, KFBG and other organisations who have lobbied the authorities for this Planning Control. I trust this will now put an end to threats of unplanned development of the sensitive bird and other wildlife areas of Po Toi.

With regards to the recent scrub clearance and concreting of extensive areas of the valley after the sister's cafe, I believe that nature will reclaim this area within a fairly short time even if the landlord cannot be persuaded to do so.

[ Last edited by wgeoff at 3/03/2012 06:50 ]

Yes Mike, definitely a possibility. I will email you.

Thread