Thread
Print

[Hong Kong] Another Critically Endangered species in Hong Kong

Another Critically Endangered species in Hong Kong

The Final Decisions for BirdLife's 2012 Red List were recently published (see http://www.birdlife.org/globally ... -the-2012-red-list/)

These include the decision to upgrade Baer's Pochard from Endangered to Critically Endangered, following serious concerns about a severe decline in numbers and loss of sites. This decline has also been noted in Hong Kong, where the recent obliging bird is the first seen by most observers for several years. The decision to upgrade to ciritcal was pended in 2011 and in the draft list for 2012, so data from this winter presumably show the situation to be very serious. Discussion on the BirdLife website suggests the population is now less than 1000 individuals.

The only other change relevant to Hong Kong is Black Scoter, which is a newly recognised split from Common Scoter proposed to be listed as Near Threatened. Eastern Imperial Eagle remains as Vulnerable, while Greater Scaup and Chinese Hwamei remain Least Concern.

I think the following list of Hong Kong threatened species is up to date, but if anyone notices any errors please point them out.

CR
Baer's Pochard, Christmas Island Frigatebird, Siberian Crane, Spoon-billed Sandpiper, Yellow-crested Cockatoo (native popluations only)

EN
Oriental Stork, Japanese Night-heron, Black-faced Spoonbill, Nordmann's Greenshank

VU
Philippine duck, Lesser White-fronted Goose, Dalmatian Pelican, Swinhoe's Egret, Greater Spotted Eagle, Eastern Imperial Eagle, Eastern Curlew, Great Knot, Relict Gull, Saunders's Gull, Japanese Murrelet, Fairy Pitta, Brown-chested Jungle Flycatcher, Manchurian Reed Warbler, Styan's Grasshopper Warbler, Yellow-breasted Bunting, Japanese Yellow Bunting

NT
Japanese Quail, Falcated Duck, Ferruginous Duck, Black Scoter, Black-headed Ibis, Cinereous Vulture, Band-bellied Crake, Asian Dowitcher, Black-tailed Godwit, Eurasian Curlew, Japanese Waxwing, Rufous-rumped Grassbird, Japanese Swamp Warbler, Japanese Paradise-flycatcher, Japanese Reed Bunting, Collared Crow

Sadly it's no surprise that Baer's Pochard are critically endangered.  However, it was a real shock to me to see Black Scoter uplisted to near threated and Long-tailed Duck to vunerable. Two birds which I always considered common to abundant in North America in appropriate habitat. Seems that they fall under the "at least a 30% decline over ten years or three generations, whichever is longer" criteria.

I can add Yellow-billed Loon and European Roller for NT.

I've never heard about any conservation programme about Baer's Pochard. Does anybody know if there is any? I become to regret to haven't been to Mai Po to twich this bird...Very sad list!

Actually the HKBWS China Conservation Fund support a small monitoring project to count this bird in Central Yangsze Valley in the year 2011-12.

HF Cheung

I wonder which population of Black Scoter it refers to .

As far as I can see from the website this refers to the American Black Scoter and not the European Common Scoter.

oop..just settle the technical problem and manage to download the list.
Yes, it refers to Melanitta americana, the one recorded in HK.

The decision for Black Scoter is a bit puzzling. If you read the discussion for this species, it mostly discusses whether Common Scoter (i.e. M. nigra) should be upgraded (even suggesting Vulnerable), and suggests that Black Scoter (M. americana) is relatively stable. But then the published decision is to list Black Scoter as NT and leave Common Scoter as LC. I wonder if this was a mistake?

I have a question about the feral population of Yellow-crested Cockatoo (Cacatua sulphurea) on HK island. Is it of any conservation importance? THX. Captain

Thread