Thread
Print

Naumann's Thrush at airport

Naumann's Thrush at airport

Just received a call from Mike Kilburn at his airport roundabout- he has a Naumann's Thrush as of 1.30pm today (27 December).  

Directions to be on Birdline soon but the bird is located at the roundabout North West of the main taxi rank.

Dylan

Directions from Mike,

Here's the directions to the Naumann's Thrush is at the Airport North Interchange (Magic Roundabout).

This is located close to the Regal Airport Hotel and the taxi waiting area to the north of terminals one and two.

Directions:

NB This is a public area, but pleease take care of traffic when crossing busy roads
Take bus/train to Terminal One.
Walk down slope to taxi rank pick up area.
Cross to the right side of the taxi rank and cross the road underneath the flyover (watching for traffic)  and walk onto the grass verge with a few trees to the left
Keeping the slope on your right (look for the dead Watercock carcass on the bank) walk to the farthest corner of this grassy patch and (watching for traffic from the right)
Cross the road at the entrance to an area surrounded by trees (see pic below)
Scan the lawn ahead from the road barrier and a white container
The bird is flighty, twice flying out without being flushed, but returned to the same patch of lawn.

[ Last edited by subbuteo at 27/12/2012 14:25 ]

Attachment

Image.jpg (87.06 KB)

27/12/2012 14:23

Image.jpg

Many thanks for posting these directions Dylan.

The bird was an adult male that showed well for twenty minutes, but flushed twice while I was there.

Cheers
Mike

[ Last edited by kmike at 27/12/2012 21:48 ]
Mike KilburnVice Chairman, HKBWSChairman, Conservation Committee

Thanks Mike for letting us know about this great find!! Still there as of 1700 yesterday.

Still here this morning

Cheers
Mike

Still there up to 5pm
Cheers
Mike

HK Airport -Magic Roundabout
27th & 28th December, 2012

Million thanks for Mike's detailed information and what a wonderful find of a brilliant Thrush!!
A real "Magic Roundabout".

Cheers
PWMK

Great shots!  
Manson Tsang
雀鳥科

Many thanks to Mike and Peter Michelle

Same day Same place
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRG9A4rpmuk&feature=youtu.be

Cheers,
Fai and Tung
I am just an inexperienced birder/ birdwatcher/ twitcher/ photographer with no long lens.

Many thanks for the great shot!
Hope the bird still b there tmr. Keep my fingers crossed!:-D

Naumann's Thrush
28/12/2012

More photos to share. Thank you Mike for discovering this beautiful bird and for the detailed directions, and thanks Peter & Michelle for your help!

[ Last edited by kkoel at 28/12/2012 22:24 ]

Peter & Michelle & Koel thank you for yr kindly helping

Excellent capture.

Thanks Andiona for your kind words - and thanks for pointing out to me where the bird was in the first place! =)

Quote:
Original posted by kkoel at 29/12/2012 01:43
Thanks Andiona for your kind words - and thanks for pointing out to me where the bird was in the first place! =)
You're Welcome Koel

What a fantastic autumn and early winter this had been, and this bird provides a superb climax. Congratulations Mike, you may be losing a great patch but it seems you've found another.

[ Last edited by wgeoff at 29/12/2012 09:13 ]

Thanks to all for sharing your awesome photos.

Fai Tsui, thanks for sharing the video. Interesting to hear the shutters sound like bullets.

[ Last edited by Stonechat at 29/12/2012 10:12 ]

Still at the magic roundabout at 3.15pm 29th December. Worth the trip!

Dylan

very nice bird and great find, well done Mike.

With regards to what Geoff said about starting a new patch, I think expect that Chek Lap Kok will be a better migrant trap than Lam Tsuen. Both its island location and rather limited should concentrate migrants so I expect we will be hearing about a great deal more rarities from Mike.

隻雀死左 The bird has died

[ Last edited by puppymic at 30/12/2012 11:29 ]
http://blog.yahoo.com/puppymic

很可惜 !!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnyu9339

Thread