Thread
Print

Po Toi Spring 2013 - March

Po Toi Spring 2013 - March

2-3 March 2013

Yesterday, despite cold and misty weather there was a big movement of Black-tailed Gulls. There was a fairly steady stream of small flocks moving 1500-1730. I ended up counting 187 Black-tailed Gulls yesterday. Yesterday, there were also a few dozen Heuglin's Gulls and 2 Vega Gull. The gull migration really shut down today and I only saw 5 Black-tailed Gulls in the afternoon.

Today morning I got a surprise when a cormorant flew in off the sea from the south west. It apparently had roosted on Dangan Island or at sea. I was trying to make it a Japanese Cormorant but relatively long tail and the lack of white on the face visible in the scope makes me believe it probably was a Great Cormorant. None the less, this is the first Great Cormorant seen on Po Toi since 2007. They apparently don't like open ocean environments.

On the island I saw the Hoopoe and 2 Pacific Swift had returned and were checking out the south peninsula yesterday.

[ Last edited by brendank at 3/03/2013 21:45 ]

First Week in March

The first week of my last season on Po Toi.

On the land, some new spring species. On Tuesday, Crested Goshawk (may have been there all winter), Common Sandpiper and two migrant Large-billed Crows, the first time I have seen them flying in off the sea. On Wednesday, a very early male Red Turtle Dove, not sure what that was doing, three Pacific Swifts as noted by Brendan and an Olive-backed Pipit. And on Thursday, a White-throated Kingfisher which may also have been there all winter. The Hoopoe, Grey-headed Flycatcher and Brown Shrike certainly have been there all winter and still this week. No sign of the Black-throated Tits but single Japanese and Pale Thrush are probably new arrivals.

This has been a poor year on Po Toi for Japanese/Manchurian Bush Warbler. A few normally over-winter, but this year none - until this week when one started singing in the early morning just past the sister's cafe and I was lucky to get a good view on Thursday

This is a recent species split and the two are known to be difficult to separate, but judging by the general bright rufous colour, particularly on the nape (Kennerley page 599), and the largish bill and legs, I think this could be a male Japanese Horornis diphone ssp canturians. I also recorded the song, a short condensed section here

http://www.geoffwelch46.com/JAPBWSONG.mp3

At sea, March is the time for gulls and Ancient Murrelet, and this week did not disappoint.
One Ancient Murrelet on Wednesday morning and a group of three on Thursday morning. I was a bit slow picking them up, so no photos (they move really fast) but this brings my total number of this species to 70 over the eight years from 2006, 48 of these in March.

Late afternoon in March is always the best time to see gull migration, it seems they set out about two hours before sunset and mostly migrate overnight. Wednesday evening was a good example, 194 Heuglin's type and 114 Black-tailed passing in two hours from 15.45pm, mostly first and second winter birds and all heading north-east out of the Dangan Channel. This has been a good spring for Black-tailed Gulls, as noted by Brendan above, and this is my highest daily count for Black-tailed.
But best of all, a Black-legged Kittiwake close in at 16.27pm

Then I immediately noticed another small gull further out

another Black-legged Kittiwake! Then 30 minutes later, another

I didn't see any gulls of any species coming back after having passed me, so my conclusion is, at least two and probably three Black-legged Kittiwakes.

I've wondered why we get so many seabird species from Japan and Korea wintering so far south in Hong Kong waters. I think the answer lies in a cold current which sweeps down the coast of east China in winter and causes low sea temperatures in our area in February

sea temperatures in February almost as cold as those in south Korea and Japan.

The only big disappointment of the week was to be refused a $2 fare on the ferry (see my report for the Last Week in February). I was told by the ferry staff that this fare only applies to ferries with Octopus Card Readers. I'll be writing a letter for explanation to the relevant Government Department - why advertise at the Ferry Pier if it doesn't apply to that Ferry Company?
My wife has reversed her decision to ask me to go to Po Toi more often - back to square one Mike.

[ Last edited by wgeoff at 8/03/2013 08:20 ]

Bummer
Big bummer!
Mike KilburnVice Chairman, HKBWSChairman, Conservation Committee

Have you been watching The Inbetweeners?!

In addition to you list, Geoff, my friend got a male bull-headed shrike on 4th Mar.

9 & 10 March

A hot weekend. Yesterday afternoon 3 Ancient Murrelet passed the south point but not much else. This morning was slow but things got a bit better in the afternoon with another Ancient Murrelet and an adult Black-legged Kittiwake possibly one of the birds seen earlier in the week by Geoff. The Kittiwake was quite a ways out. First, heading northeast but then landed on water for 15 minutes, then headed back south and sat on the water again where I lost it. I tried digiscoping it while it was sitting on the water but the results weren't too impressive.

On land rather quiet. Seems most wintering birds have gone completely with nothing new coming in.

Here are two photos of the Kittiwake and one of the Murrelet. None of the birds were too close this weekend so I won't win any prizes for photo quality.

Second Week in March

A very quiet week this week.

At sea, after the excitement of last week, just five Black-tailed Gulls and one Heuglin's Gull seen in ten hours sea-watching.
Also the first migrating egret, a Little Egret, and four waders which I think were Great Knot.

On the land, a few new arrivals. A fine male Tristram's Bunting on the path above my house and two White-shouldered Starling were the only new species, plus a flock of five migrant Large-billed Crows

Coloured starlings regularly turn up in Hong Kong - one of these was a fine shade of pink. Where do they get their colours from? Is it something they eat which colours their feathers?

A few species missing this week, the Hoopoe and Brown Shrike may have left and I didn't hear any Chestnut Bulbuls. But Red-tailed Robins have now started singing from the hillsides and both Pallas's and Yellow-browed Warblers are singing when the sun shines.

Some good news at sea. The ban on bottom-trawlers fishing in Hong Kong waters, which started at the beginning of this year, seems already to have an effect. This was a very destructive form of fishing which involved ripping up the sea bed to catch very few fish.
There are now very few commercial fishing vessels of any sort operating in the waters around Po Toi (a few have simply moved across into Chinese waters - see photo) and the fish appear to be more plentiful - many shoals of small fish can be seen jumping the waters around Po Toi, plus several shoals of larger fish feeding on them in great frenzy

Good news for the Hong Kong environment.
Does anyone know what these bigger fish are?

[ Last edited by wgeoff at 15/03/2013 07:01 ]

Hi Geoff

These odd-coloured starlings do appear at this time of year in Hong Kong which suggests they obtain there colouration on the wintering grounds. The uniform colouration would suggest an artificial dye is used, but for what purpose I don't know (religious release?).

It's something I'm interested in so if anyone else has any records of odd coloured individuals or evidence of articial staining/release of birds in their winter range, I'd be very gratfeul if you could drop me a PM please with any additional information.

Many thanks

PS. Large fish look like Tuna of some kind?

[ Last edited by sdavid at 15/03/2013 11:36 ]

March 16 & 17, 2013

A quiet weekend. On land the male Tristram's Bunting and two Scaly-breasted Munia which I think are migrants.

At sea, also poor--just 4 Black-tailed Gull in many hours seawatching.

Also there yesterday
A few thrushes (heard but not seen),
Japanese Bush Warbler (heard)
Yellow-browed Warbler
Common Kingfisher x2

Plus a singing Rufous-tailed Robin and 3 Pacific Swift
Extremely quiet both on land and the sea.
I am just an inexperienced birder/ birdwatcher/ twitcher/ photographer with no long lens.

Third Week in March

It's amazing how quickly a cold front can pass through in March, changing both the weather and the bird scene almost immediately. This happened on Thursday morning.

At 7am, I was sitting at my seawatching station, basking in shirtsleeves in the warm weather and light southerly winds.
I noticed the wind gradually pick up, at first from the east, then from the north. It started to become colder, I put on a jacket. The wind picked up more, north force four, but very misty. By 8.30am I had a jacket, a raincoat and a hat on, I was still cold. And the birds started coming.

First a group of 16 Barn Swallows with at least one Red-rumped - quite uncommon on Po Toi. Then a Dusky Warbler landed on the rocks and an Oriental Pratincole flew past. Time to go looking for migrants on the land, and it didn't take long to find what I was hoping for.

Crossing the football field, I saw a small bird with an orange tail fluttering around the bushes. Daurian Redstart I thought, until I got a full view - Ferruginous Flycatcher, my earliest ever, probably just arrived and desperately searching for insects. This is one of the species I believe migrate across the South China Sea from The Philippines or north Borneo in spring, a 30 hour non-stop flight before finding safety on the island of Po Toi.
I missed the photo - I lost the bird, thought I would see it again so I left it to feed in peace, but I didn't see it later. These are really beautiful birds and one of the delights of spring.

By the end of the morning I had 28 non-resident species, an increase of six over the previous day, and including at least one White's Thrush. A typical result from a March cold front. But no photos - I just wasn't with it.

Up to that time, it had been quiet. The Hoopoe was back on view, a Zitting Cisticola on the south-east grasslands was the first this year but may have been there all winter.

Most interesting was a newly arrived flock of around 40 White-eyes. Spring passage for White-eye is unusual (as mentioned in Avifauna), the first time I have seen it on Po Toi.

At sea, very little, just a few Black-tailed Gulls on the move. But also flocks of both Little and Great Egrets migrating now.

Spring migration should really start next week, especially if there is another cold front on Monday as forecast.

Brendan is leaving Hong Kong next week. He's been a regular visitor to Po Toi, quite often staying overnight at my place. I'll miss him, and we'll all miss his frequent reports of good finds elsewhere in Hong Kong.
Au revoir Brendan, good luck with your career and come back to see us some time.

[ Last edited by wgeoff at 22/03/2013 09:31 ]

Dear all

Like all good and young birders, Brendan has been hard-working and dashing for good birds while still hard-working for his Ph. D.
During his years in HK I have been his birding pal on a number of occasions and found him amiable companion. He combines birding skills with good background researches. There will certainly be one less of his kind when he leaves.

S L Tai

[ Last edited by tsheunglai at 25/03/2013 21:42 ]

23 & 24 March

Thanks, Geoff and Mr. Tai for your kind remarks. This will be my last time on Po Toi until who knows when.

Not a tremendously exciting weekend. On land rather quiet. Some White-shouldered and Silky Starling arrived yesterday as did three thrushes which I didn't see well enough to ID. Today, an early morning rain shower didn't produce much but three Chestnut Bulbuls were in scrub on the the south peninsula making think they were fresh arrivals.

At sea, also quiet. Best was yesterday when I arrived at the seawatch shortly before 300 pm an Ancient Murrelet was sitting on the water about a kilometers south of Po Toi. I rarely see bird sit on the water at Po Toi so it's a nice treat to watch for a longer time than if it was just flying by. A large cargo ship passed close by, it dove and I never managed to find it again. Otherwise just a few Heuglin's Gulls and this Whimbrel.

Today, I saw three Pyrops candelaria which I had only seen once before at Mount Davis. Apparently, they use the long proboscis to drill into bark to drink sap. It's a very special looking insect.

Last Week in March

A wet week, but welcome after a very dry start to the year. All the Po Toi reservoirs were dry and the government had been shipping clean water by barge for the local residents to use. How did they ever survive in the early years?

The rain started with a cold front passing through on Monday but continued through into Thursday, making it difficult to birdwatch on Tuesday and Thursday and leaving me with a bad cold due to over-exposure - the pleasures of seawatching on a wet day. Fortunately Wednesday was mostly dry and that was easily the best day for me.

This week and the next two are the best weeks in the year for Grey-faced Buzzards - in fact, almost the only weeks in the year when they can be seen. Tuesday may have been a good day for them but I arrived too late and only managed to see two quite distantly. But seawatching on Wednesday, a single bird flew across from Dangan Island early in the morning, passing close to me

This bird almost certainly arrived on Dangan the day before, having been blown off course on migration between The Philippines and Taiwan/East China.

The buzzard was followed almost immediately by an Osprey on exactly the same track

This is the fifth year out of eight I have seen an Osprey in spring, which indicates to me that some northern birds must winter in The Philippines.

Back to the Grey-faced Buzzards. I didn't see any more that morning but a rain shower at 2pm was followed by a flock of 17 arriving over the harbour - here just ten I could get into one shot

They wheeled around for a few minutes before one started heading off north, followed by all the others, with a few singles arriving later doing the same thing. Total for the day - 21, a good number but not yet up to 2008 (142 in two days) or 2010 (34 in one day).

So the week belonged to the rain and Grey-faced Buzzards although I also managed another Hoopoe at the south peninsular very early on Wednesday, three Ashy Minivets near the Upper School on Thursday and an ocularis White Wagtail all week

At sea, just three Heuglin's Gulls and the first flock of 23 Red-necked Phalarope, quite late this year, and a single Ancient Murrelet on Wednesday morning

No flycatchers in the week was a bit disappointing but I'm hoping for more now as spring starts to warm up

[ Last edited by wgeoff at 29/03/2013 07:53 ]

29/3/2013

Asian Brown Flycatcher 1
Japanese/Manchurian Bush Warbler 2
Eastern-crowned warbler 1
Hoopoe 1
Rufous-tailed Robin
Eastern Buzzard 1
White-bellied Sea Eagle 2
Japanese Thrush 1 - male
Red-flanked Bluetail 1 - female/juv
Daurian Redstart 2 - male and female
Grey Wagtail
Black-faced Bunting 2
Hair-crested Drongo 1

Ashy Minivet (not seen by me)

A quiet day, I'm quite disappointed that no grey-faced buzzard could be seen and I missed the Ashy Minivet again and again.
Interestingly, I got a Sooty-headed bulbul near the upper school. This is my first time to see this species on Po toi.
I am just an inexperienced birder/ birdwatcher/ twitcher/ photographer with no long lens.

some more in addition to the previous reply:

29/3/2013
at least 6 unidentified thrushes
Pale Thrush 1
Grey-backed Thrush 1
Blackbird
Bright-capped Cisticola 1

I am wondering if this was an Swinhoe's Minivet Instead:

[ Last edited by Beetle at 29/03/2013 20:20 ]

looks like Swinhoe's, at least on your pictures. But would have thought Ashy, from Geoff's. May be both were there?

These are certainly different birds - Geoff's are Ashy and Beetle's is Swinhoe's.

Beetle's is much darker on the belly and there are obvious tints of brown on the rump and tail, which Ashy would never show.

Cheers
Mike K

29-3-2013 POI TO 蒲台島

Attachment

AJ9U9598.2.JPG (72.61 KB)

30/03/2013 22:10

Black-faced bunting

AJ9U9598.2.JPG

AJ9U9600.2.JPG (56.54 KB)

Narcissus flycatcher

AJ9U9600.2.JPG

AJ9U9604.2.JPG (53.07 KB)

Narcissus flycatcher

AJ9U9604.2.JPG

AJ9U9606.2.JPG (52.18 KB)

Narcissus flycatcher

AJ9U9606.2.JPG

AJ9U9616.2.JPG (43.27 KB)

Asian Brown flycatcher

AJ9U9616.2.JPG

AJ9U9655.2.JPG (57.05 KB)

Eastern crowned warbler

AJ9U9655.2.JPG

AJ9U9644.2.JPG (80.35 KB)

Blue whistling thrush

AJ9U9644.2.JPG

AJ9U9676.2.JPG (32.1 KB)

White- bellied sea eagle(adult)

AJ9U9676.2.JPG

AJ9U9702.2.JPG (75.3 KB)

Gery wagtail

AJ9U9702.2.JPG

AJ9U9703.2.JPG (67.66 KB)

Swinhoe's minivet

AJ9U9703.2.JPG

AJ9U9712.2.JPG (65.87 KB)

Daurian Redstart

AJ9U9712.2.JPG

AJ9U9715.2.JPG (34.37 KB)

White-bellied sea eagle(juvenile)

AJ9U9715.2.JPG

Narcissus flycatcher .. lovely find!!!
Wilson Dring
https://www.facebook.com/wilsondringphotography/

30/3/2013

Heavy rain today, but it doesn't mean the migration stopped on Po toi. More new arrivals come.

Today definitely is the day of Ashy and Swinhoe's Minivet, a flock of 2 Swinhoe's Minivets and a single Ashy Minivet was seen in the morning. Later in the afternoon, another flcok of at least 13 Ashy Minivets and one Swinhoe's Minivets was found. But it is never easy for me to take a good shot, both ashy and swinhoe's.

Flycatchers and buntings are back too. A male Narcissus Flycatcher and two Ferruginous Flycatchers, joined with a newly arrived Little Bunting.

For raptors, the Eastern buzzard was still around, and a single Chinese Goshawk near the school area. As Geoff said, this week is good for Grey-faced Buzzard, I was lucky to see one passing over the pier at 1420 today.

Before the 3pm ferry gone, a pair of Bramblings gave a surprise to some birders in such a rainy day.

Should be more to come, and hope there would be something new in tomorrow outing before the holidays end.

Great, with Swinhoe's and ashy minivet, Narcissus and brambling!  
Manson Tsang
雀鳥科

Brambling male & female

30/3/2013

[ Last edited by ray at 31/03/2013 17:02 ]

Attachment

0001.JPG (186.73 KB)

31/03/2013 16:58

0001.JPG

31/03/13

Bull shrike x 1
Blue and white flycatcher x 1 - not seen by me
Narcissus flycatcher x 1 - not seen by me
Bramblings x 4 (female x 2, breeding male x 1 and non-breeding male x 1)
Grey wagtail x 2
Scaly Munia x
Black Faced Bunting x
Little Bunting x 3
Wilson Dring

Narcissus flycatcher 31 Mar

[ Last edited by hydeng at 1/04/2013 00:15 ]

newly arrived yellow-throated bunting ... 01/04/2013

Attachment

_Y3U9609.jpg (44.48 KB)

1/04/2013 18:43

_Y3U9609.jpg

Wilson Dring

A nice capture Wilson.

Any idea what else was seen today?

Cheers
Mike

Please refer to Po Toi Spring 2013 - April

[ Last edited by wleepoin at 2/04/2013 07:59 ]

Quote:
Original posted by kmike at 1/04/2013 19:03
A nice capture Wilson.

Any idea what else was seen today?

Cheers
Mike
thanks mike .. having seen wleepoin's new post, i then realized it was the end of the easter break and have to go back to work tomorrow, .. how disappointing ..

as suggested, please refer to wleepoin's other post .. cheers
Wilson Dring

Thread