Thread
Print

Canon 800mm f5.6 L IS for sale

Canon 800mm f5.6 L IS for sale

I'm now using the 600 f4L IS II so I'm putting my 800 up for sale. It has minor surface wear but optically perfect. HK$70,000

I'm also selling a Canon 300mm f4L IS (HK$7000), and a 100-400mm f4.5 - 5.6L IS zoom, HK$7000 (I'm now using a 70-200 f2.8L IS II plus converters for these focal lengths). The 1-4 has some surface wear but is optically one of the sharper ones.

Finally a Canon 16-35 f2.8L (original version - I'm now using a II). To be fair to all concerned I think it's widely known that version 1 of this lens isn't suitable for use on a full frame body due softness at the corners. It's fine on a 1.3 or 1.6 crop body. HK$3000.

Oh, nearly forgot, an EX 580 flash (nah, just joking).

Can i buy the flash please??.
Wilson Dring
https://www.facebook.com/wilsondringphotography/

Wilson, HK$70,000 for the flash gun as well. As you know they are very rare in HK. I value my flash almost as much as my AR15. Not quite as deadly but then you can pick your opponents off at your leisure once you've blinded them. The only way you get either from me is from my cold dead fingers.... (or HK$70,000)

By the way, could you e-mail me the directions for the King's Park Niltava. Thanks.

[ Last edited by hmartin at 4/03/2013 10:54 ]

blined .. stunned .. shocked ..

had you been an owl w/extermely sensitive night vision, i can totally understand .. enough is enough ..

pls check PM .. cheers
Wilson Dring
https://www.facebook.com/wilsondringphotography/

Not joking, i m quite interested to buy a flash for bird photograpghy.
Martin, would you mind sharing your flash-set-up with us?
I am just an inexperienced birder/ birdwatcher/ twitcher/ photographer with no long lens.

Wilson "stunned/shocked" - I was actually thinking of my human opponents, I'm more careful with my birds. For those not in the know an AR15 is an assault rifle. Thanks for the info.

lchunfai - I'm using a Canon 580 EX, which is an old model. The current top of the range is the 600EX. Since in reality I don't use flash very much I don't feel the need for the lastest and greatest. You also need a "Better Beamer" type flash extender, which is basically a fresnel magnifying lens held in front of the flash head. This effectively concentrates the flash output to give you an extra 2-3 stops of light. You can use flash basically in two ways, as fill or main. You use fill, typically with the flash set to 1- to -2 stops to either add a little warmth on an otherwise very dull day, or at closer to 0 for say a side lit subject where you are trying to even out the exposure by "filling" the shadows. You use flash as main primarily for night time (flash here is the "main" source of light). If you use it by day in dark situations, say in forest, you are likely to end up with the underexposed background looking all black, which most people (me included) think doesn't look attractive. I dare say there are plenty of people out there who know more about it than me, but those are the basics. One big disadvantage of mounting a flash head to your camera is that you have to be careful how you carry your gear. If you just put it over your shoulder you will strain the flash mount and likely damage it in time.

OK, all joking aside, be careful when you use flash. Some birds will tolerate it, some won't. In my opinion natural light is often better, even in dull forest interiors, and even if you have to use very low shutter speeds. The use of flash may well not be appropriate for some situations, such as nesting birds and night birds such as owls. Also be aware of the sensitivities of those photographers around you. You WILL be lynched if you use flash at an owl twitch when those around you are not. I've attempted a full throttle defence of the use of flash since I think flash is appropriate in some circumstances, and I've attempted to counter what I think are ill conceived prejudices about flash, since I'd rather have these arguments now than in the field. For those that don't understand my sense of humour all I can say is..... you are not alone.

That's it from me on the subjects of flash and imaginative parking.

[ Last edited by hmartin at 4/03/2013 18:58 ]

I have the 580EX and the Better Beamer. No doubt using the fill flash improved the quality of photos and adds a little "tone" to photos. I never could quite get the settings right for the Better Beamer and sometimes make the photo look a bit "over flashed". I guess more practice is needed.

I only really used flash in the United States where most of my birding was done by car and therefore easy to throw some more gear in the trunk. In HK where I am getting in buses and ferries and walking long distance, it's too much to deal with carrying the flash. But if you are stronger than me, it's worth experimenting with flash.

HIHI
MARTIN,
I FEEL INTERESTED ON 800MM
ANY PHOTO CAN BE SENT TO MY EMAIL ?
ckcheung2003@yahoo.com.hk

Thread