Thread
Print

[Eagles] Crested Goshawk and Besra(?)

Crested Goshawk and Besra(?)

8 September 2013, Ng Tung Chai

Larger image (smaller version posted in Lam Tsuen thread)

Crested Goshawk and a Besra(?), although from size, pale colour and the "straight" trailing edge of the wing, could it be a Japanese Sparrowhawk?  I realise this would be an early record but I am not so familiar with either Besra or Japanese Sparrowhawk to be sure of the id!  

Dylan

[ Last edited by subbuteo at 8/09/2013 19:29 ]

I would say based on pattern of the underparts (grey face, heavily marked breast) that this is a Besra. But the angle of the bird makes it very difficult to accurately assess the structure, which is very useful for separation of these two species.

Thanks John, Besra is fairly often seen in Lam Tsuen but I think is usually darker in colour.  This one one is different enough that I am not sure- it was significantly smaller than the Crested Goshawk but it's not often you see the two together so could've looked even smaller in a side-by-side comparison.  I didn't get a good look as I only had the camera in hand so can't offer much more information.

If you click on the image you get a much enlarged version in photobucket which may offer a little more detail.

Dylan

Thread