Thread
Print

米埔日誌

This is a great series of photos showing the ongoing battles between the stilts, painted snipes and slaty-breasted rails breeding this year on the scrape. I always enjoy this thread, because there is such a variety of unusual photos showing bird behaviour

Amazing to see a peregrine attack an egret - I didn't know they would manage to catch something that big.

The wigeon in the last set looks like it's a hybrid Eurasian x American - something to be careful of for anyone looking for the recent American Wigeon!

Quote:
Original posted by ((華仔)) at 6/03/2016 00:45
27/02/2016

Can someone help to Identify this small cute duck?
It look like a pintail but it's wing pattern look some different than usual,
Is it also a hybird?

I think this is a female Pintail, as you suggest. The wing does look different, but I think that's because it is being held in a strange way, outside the contour body feathers that would normally partly hide the wing. The actual pattern of the wing (dark brown coverts, narrow speculum) seems OK for a female Pintail. I wonder whether it has an injury that is making it hold the wing unusually like this.

The hybrid Wigeon in the earlier post is probably a bird I also saw in mid-February (on the same day as the American). Compared to the American, notice that the head pattern has some rufous at the rear, little green in the eye-stripe and some cream on the crown stripe, and that the flanks are mostly grey.

The Reef Egret is a very unusual record for Mai Po!

Interesting to see the Collared Crow catching a snake (Mangrove Water Snake I think)

Thread