Thread
Print

[China] Raptors in autumn migration (3)

Raptors in autumn migration (3)

29 & 30 Sept 2014
Guantouling at Beihai, Guangxi 廣西北海冠頭嶺
In the past 2 years, I visited Beihai in mid & end Oct respectively; large flocks of raptors mainly Crested Honey Buzzard could be seen passing through Guantouling. This time my visit was probably too early & most raptors did not arrive yet. Therefore the spectacular scene of large flock of raptors circling in tbe sky was missing.

Crested Honey Buzzard 鳳頭蜂鷹

Crested Serpent Eagle 蛇鵰

[ Last edited by Paux at 30/10/2014 18:46 ]

Grey-faced Buzzard 灰臉鵟鷹

Eastern Marsh Harrier 白腹鷂

Chinese Goshawk 赤腹鷹

Common Kestrel 紅隼

(to be cont'd)

Other than raptors, many other migrating birds also passed through Beihai.
Black-naped Oriole 黑枕黃鸝
In the late afternoon, they started to look for roosting point.

Blue-throated Bee-eater 藍喉蜂虎

Blue-tailed Bee-eater 栗喉蜂虎

Black Drongo 黑卷尾

Ashy Woodswallow  灰燕鵙

End. Thanks for viewing.

Hi Paux,

the Woodswallow are White-throated Needletail.

All the best,

Jonathan

also the second and third pics labelled Grey-faced Buzzard looks like Besra to me, and the first pic labelled Eastern Marsh Harrier is also showing a Pied Harrier on the background.

May I ask you where is Guantouling located, I failed to find it on a map near Beihai.

Thanks

Jonathan

Jonathan,

Thank you for your comments.
To be exact, the place where I visited at Beihai was Guantouling National Forest Park, you should be able to google it. In case you don't have access to google, here is a capture of the screen :

Paul

thanks Paux, just in case I'm around someday. I encourage you to vist the Weizhou island during migration, also a great place to enjoy migration. About one hour by boat from Beihai and lot of accomodations there and bicycle for rent...

Thanks Jonathan for the info. I've considered this island before but found that it was rarely visited by local birders. And it's a hot spot for young tourists so I gave up eventually.

frankly to have been to Beihai and Weizhou island, I would definitly choose the island, of course I guess it is better to avoid the peak toursim time like national hollyday...but it is a great site with lot of good habitat and lots of birds during migration. Very few car on the island and very enjoyable to do birding using bicycle:-)

Thread