Gull-Billed Tern 鷗咀噪鷗

Gull-Billed Tern 鷗咀噪鷗
Floating hide Mai Po  浮橋觀鳥屋,米埔
2007-04-22

Attachment

gullbilltern1ewjemi.jpg (0 Bytes)

22/04/2007 23:37

gullbilltern1ewjemi.jpg

Your len is ok wow!! Got a very good capture!
Love photographing Creator's work
www.fotop.net/yinming

with IS OFF!!!

With that kind of ss at 1/3200s, who needs IS anyway!  :wink:
KK Hui FRPS
Personal Website

[quote:2baa78a2a6="hkwongkit"]With that kind of ss at 1/3200s, who needs IS anyway!  :wink:[/quote]

Thanks KK!

I was testing my lens.  I have had IS funtion on almost all the time, as i seldom use tripod with the 300/f4, the photos I have taken recently were not as sharp as before... (light was good, every settings seemed to be ok, but ....)  

I wonder if there is problem with IS,  I still haven't work out.  
Could you please suggest some ways to test the IS or other functions?  I can't leave it to Canon for 3 months.  As I'm leaving in early May.

[quote:c32e2fdb21="wjemi"] ... I wonder if there is problem with IS,  I still haven't work out.  Could you please suggest some ways to test the IS or other functions?  I can't leave it to Canon for 3 months.  As I'm leaving in early May.[/quote]

Jemi,

My advice is to have IS switched off whenever shooting birds in flight as IS  introduces some sort of time lag before it stablizes enough.

The EF300/4L IS incorporates a first-generation IS with a claimed gain of 2 f/stops for hand held photography. This can easily be verified shooting stationary subject handheld under relatively poor lighting conditions.
The IS system in this lens has 2 modes - one for static shooting (both horizontal and vertical stabilization) and a panning mode (horizontal or vertical stabilization - the panning direction is automatically detected). Unlike the 2nd generation IS used in EF400/2.8L IS, EF500/4L IS & EF600/4L IS the variant of the 300mm f/4 L IS has no tripod detection so IS needs to be switched off here in order to avoid interference effects.

Best and Good Shooting!
KK Hui FRPS
Personal Website

[quote:7f4497891d="hkwongkit"]
My advice is to have IS switched off whenever shooting birds in flight as IS  introduces some sort of time lag before it stablizes enough.
[/quote]

Thank you for the advice!

quote="hkwongkit"]
The EF300/4L IS incorporates a first-generation IS with a claimed gain of 2 f/stops for hand held photography. This can easily be verified shooting stationary subject handheld under relatively poor lighting conditions.
The IS system in this lens has 2 modes - one for static shooting (both horizontal and vertical stabilization) and a panning mode (horizontal or vertical stabilization - the panning direction is automatically detected). Unlike the 2nd generation IS used in EF400/2.8L IS, EF500/4L IS & EF600/4L IS the variant of the 300mm f/4 L IS has no tripod detection so IS needs to be switched off here in order to avoid interference effects.
[/quote]

I have just done a prelimary test on the lens (IS mode 1 on & off) +1.4x with 20D and 1D2n

ISO 800 1/60s   --- not much difference.
ISO 200  1/10s  --- it seems that it works ok.

I will do some more static shooting to test the lens (with IS mode 1 on & off ) with following:
300 1/30s to 1/125s; 300+ EF1.4x 1/40s to 1/200s - effective shutter speeds, as mentioned in the instructions booklet.  (as the lens & 20D had a short distant dropped inside a vechicle in earily this year. )

Thanks a lots KK!

Thread