Thread
Print

Po Toi March 2015

Po Toi March 2015

The Festival Ferry Service allowed me to visit for the afternoon of both Thursday and Friday, specifically watching for seabirds from the end of the South Peninsular.
Late afternoon is the best time in March to see the migration of large gulls and anything else which happens to be around.

The weather on Thursday was terrible - very strong wind driving misty rain with a visibility less than 100 metres. I gave it up without seeing anything.

Friday was better - no rain and slightly less wind, with visibility at first at 400 metres but gradually improving over the afternoon.
First seabirds were a flock of eight Streaked Shearwaters, here two birds but the others were lost in the mist

Heuglin's Gulls started moving about 3.30pm and carried through to 5pm, flying northeast, mostly in ones and twos, mixed immatures and adults, with the occasional Black-tailed Gull and Caspian Gull. Altogether 95 Heuglin's type with two Caspian and 5 Black-tailed

Then at around 4.45pm a single flock of three Ancient Murrelet wizzed past

Not a bad afternoon, very typical of this time of year in strong easterly winds.

Also in evidence, Police, Fire, Rescue and search boats out looking all around the coastline of Po Toi for the missing fisher couple thought to have been lost near Po Toi on Wednesday. If the weather on Thursday was anything to go by, certainly not good weather for such a small fishing boat. Anyone falling into the sea off the east coast on Thursday would have had very little chance

One bird I missed on Thursday, this Grey-headed Lapwing photographed around the Ferry Pier by a casual visitor, Nick Goodyer from Cheung Chau, and shown to me on the Ferry coming home that day. Thanks for the photo Nick

[ Last edited by wgeoff at 7/03/2015 10:50 ]

Heuglin's Gulls

it was spotted on March 6 on the way back ~16:30.....

[ Last edited by wazy at 8/03/2015 00:10 ]

Attachment

DSC_1916.JPG (71.96 KB)

8/03/2015 00:09

DSC_1916.JPG

留鬍蓄鬚

Tuesday 24th March

My first trip to Po Toi for two weeks.

Best bird was a very colourful Ferruginous Flycatcher just off the path between the School and the Sister's Cafe. This bird was present on Sunday, as reported to me by Lee Yat Ming

Also present around the Ferry Pier was a female Yellow-throated Bunting but the missing feathers at the back of the head suggest an escape

Also a Hoopoe near the Ferry Pier, the wing pattern indicates a different bird to the one that wintered

New spring migrants included Little and Cattle Egrets, Pacific Swift, Grey Wagtail (without a tail so feathers missing does not prove ex-captive) and Tree Sparrow, all species to be expected in late March, as were seven Red-necked Phalarope seen from the Ferry.

[ Last edited by wgeoff at 25/03/2015 13:13 ]

Hi Geoff,
I take a picture near kwan kee store on last sunday.
It's a japanese bush warbler?

Attachment

0M8A5515.JPG (99.11 KB)

25/03/2015 16:12

0M8A5515.JPG

Yes it is.

Note the scrappy tail - and this is definitely a wild bird!

Hi Geoff,

You said that the Ferruginous Flycatcher just off the path between the School and the Sister's Cafe.  Is it means Tiger Lane?

No, just off the main path past Tiger Lane going towards the School

Thursday 26th March

Today the Ferruginous Flycatcher still there, initially near the School but later in the tall trees around the Ferry Pier. My photo below but there should be much better from the professionals.

I spent most time at the South Peninsular watching for seabirds, none seen but a single Grey-faced Buzzard flew in from the direction of Dangan Island, then flew northeast up the coast of Po Toi, didn't come close or stay on the Island

Thread