Thread
Print

Po Toi May 2015

Po Toi May 2015

First Week in May - Tuesday 5 to Thursday 7 May.

Another week spent looking for seabirds, particularly Short-tailed Shearwaters, and I thought I'd missed out again until ...

very early morning on Thursday. It passed in less than one minute, about 400 yards offshore, typical and good enough for me.

These birds fascinate me since the discovery of their annual spring passage through HK waters in 2006. Why do we see them in Hong Kong in such a focused period, mostly the last week in April and the first two weeks in May, when they should be so far away in the Pacific Ocean somewhere?

The answer can come partly from a paper published in 2014 by CSIRO in Australia, "Trans-equatorial migration of Short-tailed Shearwaters revealed by geolocators". It has long been known that the 20 million birds breeding in southeast Australia migrate across the Pacific to the cold waters north of Japan for their non-breeding season, our summer. But the migration routes and timing were not known, until birds fitted with geolocators in their breeding season in early 2008 were recovered later that year.

20 birds were recovered and their travels during 2008 are given in this diagram

Firstly after breeding, they travel southeast to Antarctic waters south of New Zealand, to fatten up for their long journey. Then they set off, first north and then northwest, to their wintering grounds in the seas off Japan. This journey of 11,000 kms is covered in about 13 days or about 840 km per day, so very quickly. It is unlikely they feed during this migration.
All these movements are very consistent in timing, at least between this 20 birds from one breeding location. Eleven of the twenty arrived in Japan in just two days, on 29 and 30 April.

So how does this compare with what we saw in 2008, and what we consistently see each year for this species?
Firstly, just like the main migration, our birds are very consistent in their timing, more than 40% of HK records occur in the seven days between 10 and 16 May. In 2008 that number was 76%, 25 out of 33 records that year.
But why the delay of about two weeks between our records and the main arrival in Japan? The distance is about the same. But if they are travelling at 840 kms per day, they can travel a long way in that extra two weeks.
Obviously our birds get diverted from the main track somewhere, possibly in the Indonesian islands. Or they may even go the wrong way around Australia, or even up into the Indian Ocean before finding their way back - there are records at this time from the Straits of Malacca between mainland Malaysia and Sumatra. We just don't know the answer to this yet.

Next week should be a good week for this species, and I will be there on Po Toi from Tuesday to Thursday trying to catch the peak passage.   

What else this week? Very few seabirds, a few Black-naped and Bridled Terns from local colonies and one Greater Crested.
On land, the southerly winds and lack of rain meant almost nothing arriving. We have had southerly winds non-stop from 24th April to today, and on for at least the next nine days according to the forecast. And with this, on Po Toi at least, no rainfall. So just some migrating egrets, the White-breasted Waterhen still on the South Peninsular, an Oriental Pratincole, a Dollarbird, several Yellow and eight Grey Wagtails, up to five Brown Shrikes, single Grey-streaked and Asia Brown Flycatchers and Little and Black-faced Bunting - poor fare for early May.

No sign of the Fairy Pitta I was hoping for - but the stream it uses is totally dry this year. The biggest surprise was a Hill Myna which spent five minutes in the tall trees by the school

From today (Friday 8 May) to Tuesday 12 May is the Po Toi Festival Week - Opera, Dragonboat Racing and thousands of people in the main Village area.
Here is the revised Ferry Timetable for that period

[ Last edited by wgeoff at 8/05/2015 09:23 ]

Second Week in May

Tuesday 12th to Thursday 14th May.

Having spoken about this being the peak week for Short-tailed Shearwaters, and having stayed on the Island especially to see them, I was very disappointed to see none at all in the three days. This has only happened once before, in 2011. I won't try to explain it.

By way of a small compensation, there was a good passage of terns, eight species including White-winged, Whiskered, Common, Gull-billed, Greater Crested as well as the locally breeding Black-naped, Roseate and Bridled terns, some of which may have been passage birds. White-winged are particularly attractive in flocks, here with a Bridled

The long hours seawatching was also compensated by the arrival of land birds flying in off the sea, always exciting to see. Particularly exciting was a Black-winged Kite which flew in on Wednesday morning and spent the morning on the South Peninsular, and a more regular Striated Heron.  

The Black-winged Kite is only the second Po Toi record.

The Long-toed Stint seen in the lagoon area over the weekend is a first record for Po Toi and was still there on Tuesday but left on Wednesday night.

Other more regular species for mid-May were four Red Turtle Doves in the tall trees on Tuesday (two only in the photo), a few Brown Shrikes, Arctic Warblers and at least seven Grey-streaked Flycatchers on Tuesday. Late species for May included a very late Swinhoe's Minivet on Tuesday, photo by Peter Ho with thanks, a Yellow-browed Warbler and a White-shouldered Starling on Wednesday.

I won't be staying on Po Toi again this spring, or maybe at all - it's a young man's game, very exhausting. Just going for days from now on.

PS my thanks to all the Po Toi supporters who sent their comments in to the Town Planning Board. Let's hope it makes them think.

[ Last edited by wgeoff at 15/05/2015 17:22 ]

Geoff,

For the Black-winged Kite, I got a single bird at Po Toi on 22 April 2012. Please see the following link:
http://www.hkbws.org.hk/BBS/viewthread.php?tid=16239&page=1#pid48940

Is it another record for the Black-winged Kite at Po Toi?

Ivan
香港觀鳥會 HKBWS

Thanks Ivan.

Yes, I had a note of your record in 2012.
I didn't look carefully enough, there have actually been at least three previous records of Black-winged Kite

25 March 2008
24 September 2009
22 April 2012 - yours

Geoff

2015-May-16
weather:
showers->bright->thunderstorms

White-bellied Sea Eagle 2 adults, near Stanley
Black Kite 1
Black-naped Tern 15
Bridled Tern 4

Black Drongo 2 attacking Black Kite
Masked Laughingthrush 1
Greater Coucal 2 one seen, one heard
House Swift 1
Chinese Bulbul 1
Red-whiskered Bulbul 1
Crested Myna 1
Oriental Magpie Robin 5
Grey-streaked Flycatcher 2
Indian Cuckoo 1 in flight; call heard
Japanese White-eye 1
Golden-fronted Leafbird 1 near the well/Portable Toilet, eating the fruits of the Banyan tree
Eurasian Tree Sparrow 10
Spotted Dove 1
White Wagtail 1
Little Egret 1
Barn Swallow 1
Blue Whistling Thrush 1
Red Turtle Dove 1
Common Tailorbird 1 heard only
Common Sandpiper 1
Grey Wagtail 1
Chinese Pond Heron 1
White-shouldered Starling 1
Eastern Cattle Egret 2

plus two unknown birds in flight:

--end--

[ Last edited by ac130 at 16/05/2015 21:16 ]

From Tuesday 12th May

Long-toed Stint

Brown Shrike, not as many as I expected.

Red-whiskered Bulbul, just because.

Hi Alan

The waders are Curlew. At least one tern on the rocks (third from right) looks like a Roseate or Common Tern

Geoff

[ Last edited by wgeoff at 17/05/2015 19:21 ]

Geoff, thanks for the ID and the correction.

Tuesday 19 May

Not much to see on Tuesday, except for terns.

The number of terns around Po Toi Rock (Castle Rock) seems more than I have seen before. My estimates based on photos taken were
Black-naped - 100+
Bridled - 40+
Roseate - 20+

These numbers may be related to the ban on trawler fishing around Hong Kong - there are certainly many more small fish to be seen around the Island.
I'm not sure if all the terns will breed on the Rock - it will be very crowded if they do.

On the Island, just a single Red Turtle Dove

This species is a frequent late May migrant on Po Toi.

Two very different kinds of boats seen on the way over and back. Firstly, the largest Oil Rig I have seen in HK waters. Secondly a new type of sailing boat, raised up on a narrow platform, the only thing in the water. Otherwise, it would be flying - and it certainly was very fast

Thursday 21st May

At last a change of weather.
After heavy rain on Wednesday night, the wind turned to strong easterly by Thursday morning - the first non-southerly wind since late April.
Too late for most land bird migrants, but good conditions for late seabird migrants.

Unfortunately, I did not stay on the Island this week as this wind change was not predicted by HKO. I went straight to the South Peninsular from the Ferry but it was too late for any seabirds. I was compensated by a Himalayan Swiftlet feeding on the small insects using the protected side of the cliff face there. I had some very close views over the hour it was there, unfortunately too close for my camera which anyway insisted on focusing on the sea or the rocks.

This species is a fairly regular late May and September migrant on Po Toi, suggesting a breeding ground somewhere close in Guangdong.

The three breeding species of Tern, Black-naped, Roseate and Bridled, could all be seen feeding off the South Peninsular although Bridled feed much further out than the other two.
Here three Roseates together with a smaller first summer White-winged Tern (I guess)

On land, a Brown Shrike and a quite late Grey-streaked Flycatcher in the tall trees by the lower school.

In earlier years I would have stayed on Po Toi this week whatever the weather forecast and almost certainly seen some small Bittern species as well as possibly an interesting seabird. But I can't do that any more.

That's my last visit this spring, I'm off to UK at the end of next week.

2015-May-24
Weather:
Bright->Cloudy with showers

It was pouring with about 300mm rain in Po Toi in the last 24 hours.
I went to Po Toi this morning to see what's happened on the island and
whether any new visitors've come.

When I arrived at the pier, a black and bittern-like bird was flying to the
southern penisula.  Without any hesitation, I rushed to the south immediately.

On the way, at first, I found two Striated Herons.  
Then, I saw many Brown Shrikes distributed on the grassland,
Eight Eastern Cattle Egrets were standing together on the rocks,
and a Von Schrenck's Bittern was flying over the sea.

After a long walking and some climbing, I reached Nam Kok Tsui.
Although the initial target was not found, a bigger surprise came!  
That is, a Lesser Frigatebird which flew toward me from south
was in my sight about 1 minute.
Finally, it went to the east, back to its origin, Pacific Ocean.

After the lunch, I was sitting at the helipad and looking at the river.
Six Yellow bitterns and another Von Schrenck's Bittern were there.
A hungry Red Turtle Dove was busy in foraging there.  Perhaps, it was the one I saw last week.

Two hours later, the "black bittern" didn't appear again and so I left Po Toi early.

And the bird list of today:
White-bellied Sea Eagle 2 near Stanley
Large-billed Crow 1
House Swift 1
Black Kite 10 most of them were sitting on rocks
Crested Myna 1
Common Myna 1
Black Drongo 4
Brown Shrike 7 distributed in southern peninsula
Greater Coucal 2 one seen, one heard
Chinese Bulbul 1
Red-whiskered Bulbul 1
Indian Cuckoo 2 one seen, one heard
Yellow-fronted Canary 2 eating the seeds of grasses

Common Tailorbird 1 heard only
Yellow-bellied Prinia 2
Grey-streaked Flycatcher 2
Japanese White-eye 1
Oriental Magpie Robin 4 singing
Barn Swallow 1
Striated Heron 2 fighting
Von Schrenck's Bittern 2 a male was flying in southern peninsula and a female was flying over the river at the helipad
Eastern Cattle Egret 8  in southern peninsula
Yellow Bittern 6 at the helipad; one was very exhausting.

Grey Wagtail 1
Bridled Tern 10
Black-naped Tern 9
Masked Laughingthrush 5
Red-billed Blue Magpie 1
Chinese Pond Heron 2 one mature and one immature
Red Turtle Dove 1
Eurasian Tree Sparrow 9
Spotted Dove 2
Blue Whistling Thrush 1 heard only
Pacific Reef Heron 2 one near Stanley and one in Po Toi
Lesser Frigatebird 1 flying over Nam Kok Tsui

--end--

[ Last edited by ac130 at 26/05/2015 00:12 ]

A good set of records Alan.

Apart from the Yellow and Schrenck's Bitterns (and possible Black Bittern), which are all regular after bad weather in late May, I'm particularly interested in the Frigatebird, the Common Myna and the Yellow-fronted Canary.

May is the peak month for Lesser Frigatebird. The bird was seen again on Po Toi on Monday and may be the same as one photographed off Tai O two weeks ago.

The Common Myna is only the second record I have for Po Toi, the other being also in May but in 2007.

Yellow-fronted Canary is an annual May and September species for Po Toi, as the following chart shows

I believe these birds come to Po Toi each year to breed (I have once seen a juvenile being fed). From where? - I guess somewhere in Hong Kong or the surrounding area.
There is evidence of similar breeding migration for the species in Taiwan. I think the species should probably be on the main HK List, in Cat IIB.

2015-May-31
Weather:
Bright, hot and wet.

Little Egret 18 flying near Stanley
White-bellied Sea Eagle 1 near Stanley
Barn Swallow 1 near Stanley
House Swift 5 near Stanley
Black Kite 1
Roseate Tern 14
Bridled Tern 7
Black-naped Tern 10
Crested Myna 1 attacking a Black Kite