Thread
Print

小灰山椒 Swinhoe's Minivet

小灰山椒 Swinhoe's Minivet

12 May, Po Toi

Do you have more photos of this bird?  The distinct yellowish wash to the underparts suggests it might be a 'Standford's' Minivet, i.e. a hybrid between Swinhoe's and Rosy Minivets.

Hi Paul, here are more pics for this bird, what do you think?

Difficult to tell, and it may simply be my screen settings.  Any photos of the back/upperparts?

Another birder got photos of the the back.  Hope he will post here.

PO TOI 12/5/2015

Attachment

minivet_120515_pt_1.JPG (182.54 KB)

13/05/2015 19:53

minivet_120515_pt_1.JPG

minivet_120515_pt_2.JPG (186.81 KB)

13/05/2015 19:53

minivet_120515_pt_2.JPG

I had the same impression with Paul seing the first set of pictures, but the new one clearly show it was an artefact due to the camera and the light...and no yellow color at all on this new pics...

I think that there are some slight yellow tones on vent, flank and rump. To meet it seems that this bird is a probably a hybrid in that there are some Rosy Minivet genes there but the hybridisation event was probably at least two generations ago i.e. most of its genes are Swinhoe's. If there are F1 hybrids (which would be classic 'stanfordi' then it is logical that there will also be backcrosses.

Regards

Mike Leven

to me the yellow on the vent is clearly some noise due to low light area, there is the same color on the throat that do not appears on other picture.

A very interesting bird!  Irrespective of the extent of yellow below there is clearly some pink in the tail. Whilst this is a Rosy Minivet feature, it is a male Rosy minivet feature and yet this bird is clearly a female and (sexually dimorphism) hybrid birds don't (never?) show a mix of male and female plumage traits; think for example of hybrid ducks.

[ Last edited by lpaul at 16/05/2015 07:23 ]

Thread