Thread
Print

20150413 Mai Po

20150413 Mai Po

Now that most of the migratory birds have left, it is time to dig out photos taken when birds were in thousands over Mai Po mudflats.
All photos were taken on 13 April 2015 at Mai Po boardwalk.
Thank you for watching.

Spoon-billed Sandpiper (center of photo)

Greater Sand Plover

Terek Sandpiper

Ruddy Turnstone

[ Last edited by irsychan at 21/05/2015 22:46 ]

More photos taken on 13th April 2015 at Mai Po.

Kentish Plover 環頸鴴

I thought it was a Little Stint 小濱鷸, but ajohn says it is a Red-necked Stint 紅頸濱鷸

Red-necked Stint 紅頸濱鷸

Gull-billed Tern 鷗嘴噪鷗

Caspian Tern 紅嘴巨鷗

Black-tailed Gull 黑尾鷗

Black-headed Gull 紅嘴鷗

I thought it was a Lesser Sand Plover 蒙古沙鴴 but ajohn says it is a Kentish Plover 環頸鴴

[ Last edited by irsychan at 25/05/2015 21:51 ]

The bird labelled as Little Stint is a Red-necked Stint just starting to develop breeding plumage. You can see some of the red starting to show on the sides of the neck and on the throat.

The last bird, labelled as Lesser Sand Plover, seems to be a Kentish Plover in non-breeding plumage. Although you can't see the white collar going all around the neck, I think that this is due to the posture of the bird hiding the back of the neck - it does seem to extend further back than on LSP. The overall appearance of the bird seems too small and delicate for LSP(especially of the commoner subspecies mongolus) and the tone of the upperparts seems to pale and sandy for LSP.

Quote:
Original posted by ajohn at 18/05/2015 18:12
The bird labelled as Little Stint is a Red-necked Stint just starting to develop breeding plumage. You can see some of the red starting to show on the sides of the neck and on the throat.

The last bi ...
Thank you, ajohn.  We are lucky to have you as the 'Gatekeeper'.  
By the way, it seems that a Little Stint has been wrongly named as Red-necked Stint and not noticed by anyone for nearly six years.  Could somesone take a look please: http://www.hkbws.org.hk/BBS/redi ... o=lastpost#lastpost

[ Last edited by irsychan at 19/05/2015 18:54 ]

More photos.

Mainly Black-tailed Godwit

Twinkle twinkle Little Stint, Can you tell me where you are?
I've lost my way away too far, Bring me back to where you are
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e621FP6Zd4Y

Red-necked Stint

Red-necked Stint

Red-necked Stint

Common Sandpiper

[ Last edited by irsychan at 24/05/2015 17:02 ]

Thread