Thread
Print

Japanese Murrelet ??? 冠海雀 ???

The posture (upward tilting head and long necked posture) and the bill look so close to Japaneses Murrelet. Also the eye is set quite backward on the head. On the 2nd photo, there is an obvious "crest" - which is a tuft of black feather covering the white crown, also the pale throat extending all the way to the upper chest (In summer plumage, ancient murrelet has black throat). All these point to Japanese Murrelet despite the feather looks worn out or polluted.

Attachment

japanese murrelet c.jpg (0 Bytes)

5/05/2007 21:28

japanese murrelet c.jpg

Japanese Murrelet 3.jpg (0 Bytes)

5/05/2007 21:28

Japanese Murrelet 3.jpg

For expert on Japanese Murrelet, I recommend to refer to Mr Koji Ono 小野宏治 (ono@seabird.go.jp). You may also visit his webpage www.seabird.go.jp. He was really helpful in telling us how to go to Kadogawa to see the murrelet in 2001, despite we were strangers.

I am really excited to notice this sighting in Hong Kong. Actually for Japanese Murrelet, the breeding season is late Feb to May. The largest breeding colony is in Kadogawa, Miyazaki Prefecture in Kyushu (~3000 birds or 1/2 world population). Even for Taiwan, there seems just only a few sightings. This bird, if proven to be a Japanese Murrelet, is likely strayed due to injury or disease.

[quote:af9367a4a4="htunhei"]I think the murrelet near Po Toi yesterday was quite different to the one I took in April. the bill was abosolutely different, blue grey compare to pink of Ancient Murrelet. the head of Ancient Murrelet is larger and flat. The colour is that bird is ligher than an Ancient Murrelet. But I am not keen on murrelet, maybe we can send the photos to Japanese experts for identification.[/quote]

Please also note the black throat of Ancient Murrelet in summer plumage. Also on a lateral view, the eye of the Ancient Murrelet is situated slightly anterior to the midpoint between the forehead and nape, while for Japanese Murrelet, one have an impression that the eye is posterior to this midpoint in the head. I hope you can understand what I mean (please check the second photo from PWMK, 1st photo from myself,  2nd photo from John and 3rd photo from Tony)

Thanks Peter and Michelle for all the communication and summary.

As for the comment from Moor "....Crested effectively has a black head with a white "head-band", broadest on the nape or very least nape-sides." I cannot totally agree. In my observation, Japanese Murrelet has a white crown with a tuft of black feather growing from front to back. When this tuft of hair-like feather lies flat the head, it gives an impression of black head with white band. When this raises up, this is the "crest". The white crown extends low down to the nape, but such low extension may be exaggerated by the head-up posture that these murrelet like to keep when afloat.

Hope my attached photo will explain this point more clearly.

To be true, we are a bit "exceptional" because our experience with Japanese Murrelet is far more than the Ancient. We are certainly not in an objective position to give a call.  We hope just to share a bit of our observation of the "normal" Japanese Murrelet in breeding season (Feb to May)

Attachment

Japanese Murrelet 4.jpg (0 Bytes)

17/05/2007 00:18

Japanese Murrelet 4.jpg

Thread