17/07/2016 10:57, Downloaded count: 582

image.jpeg (33.89 KB)

17/07/2016 10:57, Downloaded count: 634

image.jpeg (37.67 KB)

17/07/2016 10:57, Downloaded count: 657

Black-naped and Roseate.
Should also be some Bridled.

Geoff,
You are right.  We saw all three types of terns including bridled terns at Castle Rock (螺洲白排) near Po Toi Island on 15th July 2016.  We also saw three pacific reef herons there.  On Po Toi Island, we did not spend time walking around except went to Ming Kee Restaurant for lunch but still saw one pacific reef heron and one white-throated kingfisher at the harbour of Po Toi Island.
It seems that there were not much fish in that area (Castle Rock) on that day, unlike two years ago when we took a similar visit in August 2014 and saw many terns holding fish in mouth: http://www.hkbws.org.hk/BBS/view ... ghlight=%2Birsychan
This year I got seasick after about 30 minutes trying to focus on the flying terns through the viewfinder of my D4S + 800mm lens on the rocking junk and had to lie on a bench inside the junk while peter01yyc took his nice photographs of those terns chasing at the back of our junk.  At some moments, the terns were only about three metres from us!

[ Last edited by irsychan at 18/07/2016 10:34 ]

Thanks SY

White-throated Kingfisher is a good Po Toi record in July, I guess these are non-breeders as I've only once seen or heard more than one bird at a time on Po Toi, that was in 2007.

Geoff

I expect that the White-throated Kingfisher is one that has finished breeding. They have already started dispersing from breeding grounds - a few birds have returned to Mai Po in the last couple of weeks as well. I don't know whether these are birds that have bred in Hong Kong or elsewhere in the region, but this is a typical time of year for them to be dispersing after breeding.

Quote:
Original posted by ajohn at 19/07/2016 19:03
I expect that the White-throated Kingfisher is one that has finished breeding. They have already started dispersing from breeding grounds - a few birds have returned to Mai Po in the last couple of we ...
The White-Throated Kingfisher which we saw on 15th July 2016 (the photograph was taken at Ming Kee Restaurant towards the ferry pier):

The same photograph cropped to show the bird:

Photograph of the Pacific Reef Egret saw at Po Toi Harbour on the same day:

[ Last edited by irsychan at 17/08/2016 22:34 ]

Thread