Thread
Print

[Sandpipers] Spoon-billed Sandpiper?? (勺咀鷸??)

Spoon-billed Sandpiper?? (勺咀鷸??)

Mai Po - 4 April 2017, taken by my wife.  Sorry for the poor quality of the photo.

[ Last edited by jsk_ppp at 13/04/2017 23:07 ]

Attachment

DSC_1460_w980.jpg (93.59 KB)

9/04/2017 07:13

DSC_1460_w980.jpg

An interesting image. I'm just wondering what the features are in this photo that definitely make this a Spoon-billed Sandpiper and not a Red-necked Stint with a lump of mud on the tip of its bill.

David

I got similar picture today. I think it is the same bird. When it turns its head shows it spoon. However very far, picture quality is not good.

The bill isn't long enough and lacks the really obvious spatulate tip of Spoon-billed Sandpiper.

We're still waiting for the first of the spring, in my opinion

I reckon that the two birds were not the same one.

I agree. These are different birds. The second is clearly a Red-necked Stint with an odd-looking bill. I am not sure what the first is. It may be a Spoon-billed Sandpiper but I personally think it is a Red-necked Stint with mud on its bill. I may be wrong here, which is why I posted my initial query for other birders to respond to.

David
www.birdinghongkong.com

Quote:
Original posted by ddavid at 10/04/2017 20:44
I agree. These are different birds. The second is clearly a Red-necked Stint with an odd-looking bill. I am not sure what the first is. It may be a Spoon-billed Sandpiper but I personally think it is  ...
It does not look like a red-necked stint because of the colour around the neck.  I may suggest that it is a spoon-billed sandpiper with mud on its bill.

First bird is also Red-necked Stint for me.

Thank you all for the comments.  I have changed the subject line to indicate the doubt over it.

Thread