Thread
Print

[Others 其他] City Nature Challenge.

Disable Highlight

City Nature Challenge.

Identification Assistance.pdf (907.96 KB)
Identification Assistance.pdf (3.48 MB)
iNat How To Guide 2_Instruction.pdf (1.62 MB)

A reminder to all that the City Nature Challenge starts today, and will last all weekend. For anyone who is out in the field in the next few days, it would be great to add some sightings from throughout Hong Kong to showcase our species diversity to the rest of the world. It's not just birds - any sightings of any wildlife counts.

Hong Kong has just moved up to the top place on the leader board.  Not bad for a start.

http://citynaturechallenge.org/leaderboard/

[ Last edited by irsychan at 27/04/2018 14:36 ]

Attachment

Doc2.jpg (130.81 KB)

27/04/2018 14:36

Doc2.jpg

Looks like there is some bug in the iNaturalist app, that many species observed by me on 28 April have not been counted in the total species under Hong Kong.  For instance, Chinese Egret, Greater Sand Plover, Lesser Sand Plover, Red-necked Stint, Ruddy Turnstone, Black-tailed Godwit, Kentish Plover, Red Knot, Caspian Tern, Gull-billed Tern, Far Eastern Curlew, Eurasian Curlew, Peregrine Falcon,etc.
In fact, I have made 108 observations in the 4-day period so far but the Hong Kong list only shows that I have made 49 observations.  Could it be because the app wrongly consider observations made on Deep Bay mudflats are not within Hong Kong territory and therefore discounted?

[ Last edited by irsychan at 30/04/2018 17:02 ]

It has been confirmed that observations made near the northern bird hide on Deep Bay mudflats are not considered as observations within Hong Kong.  I suggest someone should urgently check with the organizer.
The 'Hong Kong boundary' indicated on the 'Map of Observations' on the competition web site (https://www.inaturalist.org/proj ... enge-2018-hong-kong ) is shown below:

[ Last edited by irsychan at 3/05/2018 13:29 ]

Attachment

CityNatureChallenge_HK_boundary.jpg (349.23 KB)

3/05/2018 13:23

CityNatureChallenge_HK_boundary.jpg

Thank you a lot for contributing towards the City Nature Challenge. I'm sorry you've encountered this problem. I hadn't realised that the boundary didn't align exactly with the HK boundary in this area, and that some records may not count as a result.

I have contacted the organiser of the even in HK to see if there is anything that he can do to include this area in the recording area for the project, so that your records will count on the project. The deadline for submission of records to count on the project is 9.00 tomorrow morning (HK time), so hopefully there is still time to make the change, although I'm not sure about the process that's required.

I hope that it doesn't deter you from taking part again, either to enter more details into iNaturalist or to take part in the City Nature Challenge again next year. I am sure that anyone involved will be extra careful to make sure that a similar problem doesn't arise in the future.

Thread