Thread
Print

Good Digicams to use with a Zoom Eyepiece for Digiscoping

Good Digicams to use with a Zoom Eyepiece for Digiscoping

As I usually use the fixed 30x or 45x eyepieces on my Swarovski scope I have neglected the zoom recently.
I just did a quick test using the F31fd and the Nikon P5000 to check vignetting throughout the zoom range.
20x  some vignetting (about 40% ) at wide , disappears around 40% camera zoom.
30x  20% vignetting at wide zoom, disappears at 30% camera zoom
40x  10% vignetting at wide zoom, disappears at 25 % camera zoom
50x  5% vignetting at wide zoom, disappears at 10% camera zoom
60x  0% vignetting at wide zoom, none throughout the zoom range

I compared this to the Nikon P5000
20x  30% vignetting at wide zoom, disappears at 50% camera zoom,
30x  25% vignetting at wide zoom, disappears at 60% camera zoom
40x  50% vignetting at wide zoom, disappears at 70% camera zoom
50x  30% vignetting at wide zoom, disappears at 60% camera zoom
60x  20% vignetting at wide zoom, disappears at 60% camera zoom

With these camera you only need one eyepiece and if you already have the zoom then I would recommend the Fuji F31fd. This would work as well , or nearly as well with most manufacturers zooms as it is one of the most eyepiece friendly digicams I've used. For zoom users who like more megs and more manual controls then the P5000 will do a reasonable job too, although you may not be able to used it in it's "sweet spot" in the Green Macro range. You will be able to use the Fuji's Macro range.
I will have to get my homemade remote out with the zoom on my next trip to Mai Po and crank the zoom up to 60x and let rip.
Neil

Fuji F31fd (homemade adapter 52mm)
Nikon P5000 ( third party adapter 52 mm )
Swarovski STS80HD scope and Swarovski 20-60x zoom and DCA adapter

Hi Neil

This is a hugely useful posting as I am still deciding which way to go.

The Fuji is looking better and better, but is there a commercial adapter which would do the trick?

Cheers
Mike
Mike KilburnVice Chairman, HKBWSChairman, Conservation Committee

Mike,
       The best bet is the SRB-Griturn although it is a bit cumbersome. The guys in Camera Repair ( arcade off Kimberly rd , around from David Chan's camera store, down from the Miramar Hotel) could make you up one similar to mine with a 52 mm thread.  It works well with the Swaro DCA. If you are interested I'll get a quote from them as I have to go there when I get back from Egypt (28th Aug) and pick up another adapter for my new G6.
Basically it's a bar running along the base of the camera which screws into the tripod socket , with a Sony digicam adapter (52 mm ) welded to it.  Wing designed mine and it's been great.  Neil.
ps the Fuji works well with bins too.

Yes please Neil!!

To fit a Leica 77 mm zoom lens, please

Having looked at some pix of the set-up it doesn't look too cumbersome.

Many thanks for your help

Cheers
Mike
Mike KilburnVice Chairman, HKBWSChairman, Conservation Committee

Thread