Thread
Print

[Boobies] Brown Booby 褐鰹鳥

Brown Booby 褐鰹鳥

The Brown Booby first seen flying over the Po Toi ferry when it was off Stanley by Peter and Michelle Wong + others yesterday was seen again today from the 3pm return ferry Po Toi to Stanley, sitting on the rock just west of Po Toi. The ferry captain said it had been there most of the day but it was not there when the ferry returned at 4pm.

[ Last edited by wgeoff at 18/08/2010 18:00 ]

Should be the first "standing" record of Booby in HK? Others were just flying birds. Anyway, a very nice photo. Captain

Thanks Captain.

The ferry passed unusually close to the island that trip.
Without using binoculars, I said to Peter Wong 'No terns on the island, only that Reef Egret'. He said 'It's not a Reef Egret, it's a Cormorant'.
We then looked with binoculars and realised what it was.

Aiya this is too painful - I went past that island on Saturday  - twice! I was on a junk trip that went to Tai Tam - never thought to look at the island! I even had my binolculars with me.

Somehow the White-bellied Sea Eagle and three Reff Egrets are just not enough compensation!

Cheers
Mike K
Mike KilburnVice Chairman, HKBWSChairman, Conservation Committee

Geoff,

I have just chated with another birder. This photo (or this photo set) is the first photo record of booby in HK. No photo was taken for the first and second red-footed booby recorded at Victoria Harbour and Aberdeen ... Also no photo records of boobies at Cape D'Aguilar in late 1990s.

So, I guess it could be the first photo record of booby in HK. Hope it doesn't go wrong.

Captain

It's the first photo of a Brown Booby. A previous record of an immature Red-footed was substantiated with a photograph.

Geoff

Without being too pedantic, it's the second photo. Peter Wong's photo of this bird flying was taken the previous day (see 'Brown Booby in flight' on this website).

It's the first standing Booby, as Captain said earlier - whatever sort of record that is.  :roll:

It was not there today (Tuesday).

How about this one?

http://www.hkbws.org.hk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Birdingtips;action=display;num=1087623099;start=4

So - it's not even the first standing Booby  :cry:

How many more Boobies are hiding out there?

No worry. It is still a nice standing record ..... anyway, it is a "first" photo record of a standing booby with boulder and barnacles in HK, rather than a plastic plate.

I thought there is no record of boobies in recent years...Now I have a better idea. Thanks for pointing out this observation.

Captain

Thread