Thread
Print

Peregrine subspecies? 游隼亞種 ?

Peregrine subspecies? 游隼亞種 ?

When looking at visible migration from the south point of Po Toi early yesterday morning (October 26th), I saw the resident pair of Peregrines attacking a larger raptor, which responded by flying upside down and showing a fearsome pair of talons. Unfortunately, the birds disappeared around the cliffs and I saw nothing more and did not identify the other raptor.

This morning (Friday October 27th), I saw both birds attacking the larger raptor again, so I climbed to the lighthouse to get a good view. By the time I reached the top, the two resident birds had gone and only the larger raptor remained. I was very surprised to see it was another Peregrine, but as it was at least 10% larger than the local female I watched and took some photos. The bird was not only larger but also much more lethargic, flying slowly around in circles. I attach photos with a Black Kite, I estimate it's wingspan about 90% of the Black Kite, making it about 130cm according to BHKSC.

Is it a northern Peregrine, subsp calidus or something similar?

[ Last edited by wgeoff at 18/08/2010 17:21 ]

Hi geoff
For your information
i also got two record photos last sunday. (22-Oct-06)
Wish can give u more information about that.

regards

oLDcaR

Thanks Kenny

I think your first bird is the resident Kestrel on the SE peninsular, and the second bird is probably one of the resident Peregrines.

Geoff

Hi Geoff

I think your larger peregrine is the migrant race calidus, which is known to be larger and paler then the resident peregrinator.  Paer birds also have a tendency to look larger which probaby enhances the actual size difference.

I've never seen both races together, and I certainly envy you the sighting!

Cheers
Mike K
Mike KilburnVice Chairman, HKBWSChairman, Conservation Committee

Thanks Mike. I hope the bird may stay around so I can get some photos of the two races together, maybe others will also see it.

A final shot of the resident male Peregrine dive-bombing the intruder.

Thread