Thread
Print

Bay Woodpecker at Tai Po Kau Headland

Bay Woodpecker at Tai Po Kau Headland

Karen Barretto has reported a Bay Woodpecker heard & seen at Tai Po Kau Headland this morning (Tuesday 11 September 2007).

The bird was active in the area around Girassol Lane.

Tai Po Kau Headland lies beside Tai Po Road between Tai Po Kau NR and the Chinese University. The upper section of the headland can be accessed through Lookout Link, which is on the left (if you're coming from Tai Po Kau) and just before a petrol station. From Lookout Link, turn left into Girassol Lane.

As a supplementary information, we heard it call actively on 8 Sept morning at upper valley of Tai Po Mei (eastern side of Tai Po Kau Nature Reserve) when we were bird ringing.
It called from 6:00a.m. to 8:00a.m. and was briefly seen by H.F. Cheung.
It seems it's stable at northeastern hillside of Tai Po Kau in this week, at least.

Gary

Gary

Can you be a bit more specific when you say the NE hillside?

Is it the area around the nature trail ie onyour left as you walk into TPK along the access road Where  abouts did HFC see it

Thanks

HK Twitcher

I was told it seems to be frequenting the area behind the orchard (where  Bull-headed Shrikes has been seen in some winters recently) as you look across from the road, and that the reason for this may well be that that area now contains quite a lot of dead trees.

It was seen by Kwan to fly out of that area, and across to the left hand side of the road as you walk up, I believe.

Mike Turnbull

Thanks Mike

I spent the first two hours of light along the access road this morning but no sight or sound of the boy

HK Twitcher

Oh, may I too late to reply?

Our loctaion is at the end of "car road ". The "car road" I mean is start from AFCD warden post, going uphill, turning left at Shing Mun junction and passing by the fire lookout. It finally cut across the yellow trail and we were about there.
If you walk from the main access road, you can turn left to the uphill trail which you can reach yellow and brown forest walks and finally the "car road". The road is actually runs along a ridge and the bird was at the eastern slope on 8 Sept morning.

However, we didn't hear the bird on previous Sat (1 Sept) at same location and same time.

Gary

[quote:3378b4a22c="tgraham"]Thanks Mike

I spent the first two hours of light along the access road this morning but no sight or sound of the boy

HK Twitcher[/quote]

I didn't see you this morning, I started at around 0730.

I heard it calling this morning at around 0830 while I was around picnic #3. I was not able to see it.

kwan

Thread