Thread
Print

[Ducks] Northern Pintail (針尾鴨)

Northern Pintail (針尾鴨)

28-Nov-07 Nam Sang Wai
1D Mark III, EF600+2x, f/8, 1/1000s, iso400
Angus Lau

Thanks for the comments, kk!

After some recent field tests, I now feel very comfortable shooting with the 2x wide-open on the 1D3 (with micro-adjustments for the EF600/4). I can get essentially tack sharp flight shots with this combo provided I can track the subject properly (which I need more practise). And its AF speed with the 2x is quite decent too (much better compared with the 1D2). Just for these advantages, I think my upgrade to the 1D3 is very worthwhile... :wink:

Now my only problem is to find some birds to shoot. ops: After we left NSW, we took a walk in MPNR and we were in for a shock! Most of the ponds were deserted! I thought we are now well into the birding season... :? We went to my favorite balcony opposite to the "duck" ponds. Apart from no ducks in the ponds, the balcony has also turned into a bird hide. Not sure if it is worthwhile anymore for raptor photography... our hobby is getting tougher and tougher in HK... ops:
Angus Lau

Thanks for the info and the image, Felix! That was a very close approach! :shock:  

Yes, I haven't been out for a long time.  ops: I just find it increasing difficult to motivate myself to MPNR these days... I find NSW the most convenient and satisfying spot for bird photography. Went there this morning as well. Though condition is not very good, I can still avoid getting empty handed. Here is an image of a series of heron fighting. Quite exciting just to watch the action itself...

Angus Lau

Thread