Jan 5, 2008
Swar 80ATS + 30x + Nikon P5100
ISO200

Attachment

DSCN0962c.jpg (0 Bytes)

5/01/2008 21:59

DSCN0962c.jpg

Wingkay,

I would like to suggest that for shots like this that you dial in more exposure compensation so that the whites don't burn up. I noticed that you have -.7 try at least -1.0, as the camera doesn't shoot raw it is virtually impossible to recover the lost detail in the white areas when shooting jpeg.

Good luck and Happy 2008

Bob

Delete - double posted

[quote:0d12711660="tbob"]Wingkay,
I would like to suggest that for shots like this that you dial in more exposure compensation so that the whites don't burn up. I noticed that you have -.7 try at least -1.0, as the camera doesn't shoot raw it is virtually impossible to recover the lost detail in the white areas when shooting jpeg.
Bob[/quote]

Thanks. I have been thinking that in the case of this shot, the white in there is beyond the plus-or-minus-two-and-a-half-stop limit that can be tolerated in the grey scale. As a matter of fact, I have tuned brighter the shot a little bit in order to show the details in the brown; in the original, the brown is a bit dead in texture and unrevealing in details.
Perhaps, Nikon's C8400 is a good choice for taking raw images for post treatment in order to compensate limitation imposed by the LCD monitor operating in daylight environment.

For this kind of subject, if there is a great difference in EV for the white and dark brown, it is better not to take it at strong and contrasty sunlight. I think it is the only way to solve. I don't think RAW can compenste this.

Wing

[quote:6072b487c3="cchakwing"]For this kind of subject, if there is a great difference in EV for the white and dark brown, it is better not to take it at strong and contrasty sunlight. I think it is the only way to solve. I don't think RAW can compenste this.

Wing[/quote]

You are dead right.

Thread