Thread
Print

Greater Painted Snipe nesting at Mai Po : May 2008

Greater Painted Snipe nesting at Mai Po : May 2008

The Greater Painted Snipe are back nesting on the scrape (gei wai #16/17) again this year, which is great news. One pair is nesting just outside Hide 3 on the right handside, about 4 metres away. The male is currently sat on 3 eggs.

Bena Smith
WWF Reserve Officer

Thanks Bena for the information.

I must say I enjoy the opportunity to see this very shy bird a lot. However, it is so close to the hide I believe I did cause a lot of disturbance to the nesting male (the female is gone anyway) while trying to see and taking photos of it.

The bird left the eggs as soon as I opened the windows near it and did not attempt to return after half an hour. Every time some noise is made inside the hide (including the shutter of the camera), the bird turned away again. Luckily, after closing enough windows and being as silent as possible the bird finally returned to its eggs after about an hour. Otherwise I could not leave the hide feeling comfortable!

The suggestion from this inexperienced birder is that the windows on the right hand side of the hide should be temporary locked up until the baby birds are out. I think it is really necessary to give the bird a little peace to finish his job.

Thank you for your attentions.

I agree, breeding painted snipes are very valueble and should be better protected, especially in such exposed position. Perhaps locking the windows in one side of the hide temporary or even to close off the whole area if necessary. I know of some reservoirs or nature reserves in the UK where they generally fence off the area to protect the nesting birds. But I think as long as birders are sensible, the male shouldn't be disturbed too much...

I wish the Painted Snipes can have a successful breeding season. I love watching the male leading the little hatchlings!! ops:
As The Crow Flies- a Hong Kong Birding Blog
http://www.matthewkwanbirding.blogspot.hk

I have not been to Mai Po to see this nest yet, but Kenneth's comments are rather concerning. In my experience, Painted-snipe sneak away from the nest if they are disturbed and do not return until the perceived threat has passed. Because the adults are not as demonstrative as stilts, it is possible that observers are not aware of the disturbance they are causing.

Without the adult on the nest, the eggs are exposed to predators and, more importantly, to the sun. If the adult does not return soon, there is a serious risk that the eggs will bake in the sun and the chicks will die. This is a very serious problem in HK, and is the reason for the concern about boats landing on the tern islands each year.

If, as suggested, this painted-snipe nest is so close to the hide that the bird is disturbed by visitors, then it would perhaps be best for the bird if access into the hide (or at least, the end closest to the nest) is restricted temporarily until the bird has finished nesting.

Thank you for posting comments.

Based on my own personal observations of this nesting bird over the last 3-4 days and its behaviour towards people in the hide, I think boarding up the closest 3 shutters is an appropriate course of action to take for now.

Our staff will block the shutters this afternoon and place an explanatory notice nearby.

Bena Smith
Reserve Officer

Thanks Bena for taking action so quickly.

I would like to suggest 5 windows to be temporarily closed (that was the case when the bird was finally willing to return to his eggs after sneaking out) but obviously you are the pro. So, I hope the bird is now comfortable hatching his eggs.

Thread