Thread
Print

Terns Count

Terns Count

Wonder if the tern population this season is better than last year? Have the terns returned to Mirs Bay? What about Sai Kung this year?

Thanks!
KK Hui FRPS
Personal Website

Mirs Bay seems ok but the recent rainy weather have had some impact.  Not sure about Sai Kung.

Tern Survey questions

Is there a Tern Survey going on?
And who can participate?
Is it only restricted to some insiders?
Did the participate need to pay for the boat trip?

[ Last edited by lmunchong at 14-6-2008 11:10 ]

Reply 3# lmunchong's post

Quote:
Original posted by lmunchong at 14-6-2008 11:05
Is there a Tern Survey going on?
And who can participate?
Is it only restricted to some insiders?
Did the participate need to pay for the boat trip?
A tern survey was aborted yesterday due to extremely poor weather.
It was organised by myself using personal resources.  Members of the Crested Bulbul Club and some close friends were invited, in return for their efforts in terns conservation.

There will be a tern watching outing to Tap Mun in July:
06/7/2008 (Sun) 08:00 Ma Liu Shiu pier, end 12:00 Tap Mun

[ Last edited by calan at 14-6-2008 16:44 ]

Tern Survey

Is it better to announce the survey schedule in the BBS so birders interested can join as long as the cost is being shared by the participants?

If the HKBWS consider survey is not a public function, may consider to allow members to join only.

However if survey is funded by the organiser himself, it is "Private" for sure.

Quote:
Original posted by lmunchong at 16-6-2008 13:22
Is it better to announce the survey schedule in the BBS so birders interested can join as long as the cost is being shared by the participants?
If the HKBWS consider survey is not a public function, may consider to allow members to join only.
However if survey is funded by the organiser himself, it is "Private" for sure.
Yes, last Friday's activity was funded entirely by myself.  All participants were my guests.

With the fine weather last weekend, has anybody been on boat trip(s) to the Eastern Water looking for terns? Just curious what the count is like this season ...

Any update appreciated!
KK Hui FRPS
Personal Website

I saw at least 22 Bridled Terns and 13 Black-Naped Terns today (2 July) from just past the police barrier in Tolo Harbour out to Tap Mun.
A couple of Bridled Terns chased the ferry as well.  For those interested.

Ken

Thread