Thread
Print

瀕危的中華秋沙鴨 The endangered Scaly-sided Merganser

Thank You very much for your kind & generous support.
非常感謝各位鳥友仁慈和慷慨的支持。
中華秋沙鴨,高叔叔和手巾姨姨向您們致敬!
Salute from Scaly-sided Mergansers, Uncle Tall & Auntie Handkerchief!

太感動了! 您是學生嗎?
謝謝您的支持。讓我們想想可否另訂一個學生價格。。。。。
到今天為止,我們再籌得$1500,主要來自同事和關子凱醫生一家,謝謝子凱主動提出在教會內幫忙推廣。
我的醫生同事不是鳥友,但也覺得這行動很有意義,我的上司(某私家醫院的副院長)更買來送給英國訪港的朋友作手信,並要求附送中華秋沙鴨照片。
昨天收到日本桂千惠子的來信,她為我們打氣。領帶封套上的中華秋沙鴨全家福,就是她在十多年前畫的了。
雖然以琳和突破書店婉拒讓我們寄售領帶,但世界自然基金會已答應嘗試代售,謝謝鳥會的張嘉穎小姐和羅經理幫忙協商。
我也希望向大家分享中華秋沙鴨保育基金成立的背景故事,文字部份差不多完成,還要花時間配上圖片,這部份需要多一點的時間,會跟張嘉穎小姐商量該如何刊載 (因有六七千字)。
但願有健康早日完成,為時多月的敏感咳嗽這幾天又復發了。。。。
但想到鳥會和眾多朋友的支持,心裏只有感恩。

您的回覆很可愛,可以知道您是誰家學校的好學生嗎?
手巾姨姨

香港婦女會中學同學:謝謝您的回覆!希望將來有機會碰面吧。
也謝謝Fion長途跋涉把領帶帶到南美協助推廣。祝你一路平安,此行有豐富的收穫。
Auntie Handkerchief

Thank you for Fion's help in selling he ties at Argentina & South Korea.  She looks cute & pretty in her pink chinese one piece,isn't she? Really appreciate her boldness, creativity & love for China culture.

The journal (in Chinese) has been done (around 8000-10000 words with lots of pictures). I gave it a title "When Cat Falls in Love with Ducks" (當貓愛上鴨). As suggested by Fion, it may be placed in HKBWS office so that interested members can read it there. Not yet decided whether to publish it or not. It's good that the print out can be held by A4 clear folder now so that I may edit & add anything I wish when the project is still progressing & miracles keep happening. I was amazed to learn from Mr. Ichida that "Princess Takamado received many gifts from partner organizations but the neckties were the only things she bought". To expres my gratitude, I have wrote a thank you note & sent some small presents to Princess Takamado by mail. Hope they would pass the security check & reach her hands. Here I must thank Ms. Katsura & Mr. Ichida again for their kind support in the project.

By now I guess we have raised over 10000 HKD already. According to Fion, the China Conservation Fund & Scaly-sided Merganser Conservation Fund have already been opened for application. And we have verbally agreed on a lower price for student & elderly members of HKBWS. Will let Fion or Mr. Law make the formal anouncement.

Cheers & thanks for all those who have bought the ties. Hope we can thank you in person when we meet face to face one day.

Auntie Handkerchief (for Uncle Tall too)

中華秋沙鴨告急 Scaly-sided Merganser needs your concern!

Just came back from Jiangxi again for a survey of 4 sites in Northern Jiangxi for the Mergansers(Longhu Shan 鷹潭龍虎山, Yiyang上饒弋陽, Wuyuan/Dexing上饒婺源/德興, Xiushui九江修水). We are surprised by the rapid deterioration of the 2 previously surveyed sites (Wuyuan 婺源 and Yiyang 弋陽). There are now many gravel mines along and within the rivers where the mergansers used to live. Their numbers also apparently reduced compared to 2005 but we are not completely certain about the effect of these mines to the merganser. Look at the attached phtoto at Wuyuan. This river was the same one where some of us like Hendrix and ourselves took great pictures of the Mergansers.

Back to the tie sales, we sincerely hope that we could raise an extra sum of HK$100,000 to contribute to the China Conservation Fund in particular to the conservation of the Scaly-sided Mergansers. We need this fund so that we can perphaps sponsor regular winter surveys or promote breeding project like artificial nest.  

Christmas time is coming. These ties would make great gift for your friends, husband, daddy, son or yourself. You may purchase at the HKBWS or WWF office, or simply reserve through Fion or Wai Yan and have your order delievered in one of the coming indoors meetings.

Uncle Tall & Auntie Handkerchief

[ Last edited by calexander at 22/11/2008 12:32 ]

Attachment

DSCF2089.jpg (136.02 KB)

20/11/2008 23:11

Xin River, Wuyuan

DSCF2089.jpg

IMG_6422.jpg (127.59 KB)

20/11/2008 23:11

Xin River, Wuyuan

IMG_6422.jpg

Longhu Shan is the best habitat for the Mergansers among the 4 sites we visited. This is a semi-protected scenic area. There is also the only site with no obvious gravel mining. However this wintering ground may be subject to more human disturbance due to growing number of enthusiastic bird photographers in China. Some of them even chase after the mergansers in order to get a good flight photo (according to Mr Lam). There is also a great decline in number in this site from last year (86 according to Mr Lam) to this year (21, our own observation). The mergansers are extremely alert too in this site.

[ Last edited by calexander at 23/11/2008 15:43 ]

Attachment

Long Hu Shan habitat .jpg (146.13 KB)

22/11/2008 12:30

Photo by Auntie Handkerchief with 400mm f5.6

Long Hu Shan habitat .jpg

Scaly-sided Mergansers at Longhu Shan 龍虎山的中華秋沙鴨

Mergansers at Longhu Shan
16/11/2008

PS 老林的旁述很精采. The comment from Mr Lin brilliantly illustrated how alert the mergansers were!

[ Last edited by calexander at 23/11/2008 15:41 ]

Thread