Thread
Print

[Hong Kong] The Arctic 北極之旅

The Arctic 北極之旅

Here are some photos from my recent trip to the Arctic.

We left Spitzbergen by ship travelling north to within 500 miles of the North Pole when we reached the pack ice and could not go any further. Then south west to Eastern Greenland for a week before going further south to Iceland where the trip ended.

Animals – Polar Bear, Musk Ox, Reindeer (Caribou), Arctic Fox, Walrus, Bearded Seal.
Humpback Whale, Sperm Whale, Minke Whale, Killer Whale, White-beaked Dolphin.

Birds – Fulmar, Kittiwake adult and juvenile, Little Auk, Brunnich’s Guillemot, Glaucous Gull, Ivory Gull, Arctic Skua, Pomarine Skua, Great Skua, Arctic Tern, Sooty Shearwater, Barnacle Goose, Brent Goose, Long-tailed Duck, Puffin, Purple Sandpiper, Ringed Plover, Turnstone, Raven, Greenland Wheatear, Snow Bunting, Lapland Bunting.

And some scenery, mostly ice, from the land of the Midnight Sun.

Not a trip for the faint hearted. The temperature rarely rose above 3 deg C, we had two storms at sea including one with 9 metre waves and gusts up to force 12. But the ship, a Russian Polar Research vessel, was well able to cope with all these conditions.

[ Last edited by wgeoff at 26/03/2010 18:20 ]

Really can't describe how I would feel if I were there!!!

Thanks for sharing, Geoff!

Utterly amazing adventure!

I would LOVE to take that trip!

Thanks for sharing.
"The great book, always open and which we should make an effort to read, is that of Nature . . ." Antonio Gaudi

Wow!! That will be an amazing holiday...it is a bit too cold for my liking though... Thanks for sharing!!
As The Crow Flies- a Hong Kong Birding Blog
http://www.matthewkwanbirding.blogspot.hk

A very special trip!

Thanks for sharing.

Congratulations, Geoff. What a wonderful trip you have had!

And thanks for sharing it with us!

Kenneth

Thread