Thread
Print

[Hong Kong] WHY

WHY

Why would a Government Department pick today (Sunday 6th Sept), one of the hottest day's of the year to drain down a captive bird pond. OK, it is not completely drained down but only 6-10 inches of water left in it. The pond is the Flamingo & Duck pond at Kowloon Park. The bigger of the two ponds was drained. It now means that all the flamingo and ducks are concentrated into a very small area.

Worst affected are the ducks left resting along the fence (northern side) of the pond, these birds now have a 6 ft drop to the water and food, so most can't reach the water because there wings have been clipped.

I made a report to the Deputy Manager (outdoor facilities) Kowloon Park of the Leisure & Cultural Services Department as well a telephone call was made to AFCD hotline 1823.

LCSD have said that the pond will be filled tomorrow but WHY was it drained during such a heatwave period ??

The only birds to benefit have been the Black-crowned Night Herons who came there in force to attack the small turtles.

Can anybody explain why draindown now!

[ Last edited by tbob at 6/09/2009 18:44 ]

One of the many turtles that received "nips" from the Black-crowned Night Herons

Cannot see in your message why they cannot drain down in a hot day. Captain

Captain,

As mentioned in para 2 IMHO there were birds that were unable to get to the water and food, which didn't seem acceptable during a heatwave condition.

As a follow up, LCSD contacted me and they started filling up the pond last night instead of waiting until this afternoon

To be honest, in terms of the interests of members of the HKBWS, which is concerned with wild birds, I think we have a good outcome. The wild Night Herons benefitted !

While I understand your concern, what has this got to do with the HKBWS? This is something for the SPCA.

Geoff

Thanks for your comments Geoff, I thought that by placing the topic under the conservation section it had as much relevance as for example Captain's story on tree felling in this section.

If you feel that it should be deleted I am happy to do so.

Bob

[ Last edited by tbob at 7/09/2009 18:11 ]

Thread