BBS BBS Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register English | 中文
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Jun 17th, 2024, 10:27pm

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組
   Discussion Area 討論區
   Photo Gallery 相片分享 I
(Moderators: carmen, George_Ho, Kwok Jai, BBS Moderators, Forrest FONG)
   Swinhoe's Snipe (修正)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Swinhoe's Snipe (修正)  (Read 2653 times)
Forrest FONG
BBS Administrator

I love Bird Watching!

Email

Bird Photo
« Reply #15 on: Oct 28th, 2002, 12:21am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi KK,

Thank you very much for sharing your opinion and experience in photography.  

Not just for bird photography, conveying an artistic expression of  the object through the eyes of a photographer is also the way of photography for animals, portrait, landscape, flowers, sport & reporting, etc.

To me, bird ID is the most fundamental requirement of bird photography.  If I can't identify the bird showed in the photo, how can I rely on it to know the photographer's idea, ......  Bird photography can also serve many other purposes such as recording, education, art work and leisure-enjoyment, etc.
However, I believe its most important function is that the bird photo can be used to raise the public's interest/ awareness of birds, our environment and even our future.  

Therefore, I should express my appreciation to those who had posted their photo in this BBS.   Thank you so much for sharing the photo with other BBS members and the public.  

The BBS needs all your continuous supports by viewing and posting photo, message, reply & comment, etc. in this Photo Gallery and other forums.

Thanks a million.

Forrest  

FF
Bob

Email

Re: FANTAIL SNIPE
« Reply #16 on: Oct 28th, 2002, 7:45am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I totally agree with Forrest statement  "However, I believe its most important function is that the bird photo can be used to raise the public's interest/ awareness of birds, our environment and even our future. ".

This is the fundamental aim of all Nature Photographers.  

The worlds leading nature photographers may take weeks or months just to take one photo of even our most commonest birds ,but these beautiful & artistic shots are helping to ensure that the species survive.

Most good photos have taken a lot of planning to get, with the photographer observing the bird over a period of time so that he can anticipate where it will go. Of course there is always the lucky shot

Bob
KK Hui
BBS Member
BBS God

Bird Photography - at its best ...

Re: Bird Photos
« Reply #17 on: Oct 28th, 2002, 8:24am »

Thanks Forrest, I can't agree with you more. The sole objective of me 'publishing' my work on bird photography is simple ...

"It is my intent to use these photos as persuasion to bring people's awareness of what beautiful birds we have here in the door step of a busy city like Hong Kong and hence the importance of conservation and the need to preserve our natural heritage."

My thanks also go to Bob for pointing out the 'not so obvious' on nature photography ...

Best
kk
--------------
« Last Edit: Oct 28th, 2002, 8:24am by KK Hui » Logged
Marcus
BBS Member
BBS God

I love bird watching!

« Reply #18 on: Oct 28th, 2002, 1:35pm »

I may need to say sorry to everyone…  

After reviewed the other photos with the same bird which I took at the same time, I found that the bird may be a Swinhoe's Snipe. The attached photos may show the others detail. Can anyone please confirm or have any idea?

Hope everyone enjoy God give us this beautiful world everyday and every moment!
« Last Edit: Nov 28th, 2002, 2:09pm by Marcus » Logged
Paul Leader

Email

« Reply #19 on: Oct 28th, 2002, 3:33pm »

The second two photographs are indeed a Swinhoe's Snipe.  Separation from Common is quite easy on the photograph showing the underwing which is uniformly barred grey and white, especailly on the auxillaries and greater underwing coverts.  In Common Snipe the underwing is much paler and less uniform, and the auxillaries typically show a lot more whte than black (ie. the white bars are broader).  Pintail has the same underwing pattern as Swinhoe's.  Separation of Pintail and Swinhoe's Snipe is incredibly difficult, however these photographs clearly show the structure of the outer tail feathers.  The outer tail feathers of both Swinhoe's and Pintail are distinctly narrow when compared with those of Common Snipe. In Pintail Snipe the outer eight (sometimes six to nine) pairs of tail feathers are less than 2 mm wide, while on Swinhoe's Snipe the outermost pair are very narrow (2-4 mm wide 20 mm from the tip), the next 1-4 pairs are all slightly broader, and the rest increasingly so towards the central pair.
koel ko

Email

« Reply #20 on: Oct 28th, 2002, 9:02pm »

Many of us birders will appreciate an opportunity to share the photographer's joy of both having been with such a beautiful bird and photographed it above all, just as the photographer rejoices in his sharing with  appreciative ones.  
However, besides looking from the aesthetic angle, we have to admit that photos make a very good tool for identifying birds - and while they easily give a prejudiced or inaccurate image of the bird itself due to technical flaws, they give the most detailed view of ceratin features, which may not be adequately depicted in illustration-based field-guides.  
Why don't we appreciate the superb photo and, at the same time, share our experiences and knowledge on birds so that we can all learn from the others?  
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

logo

香 港 觀 鳥 會
Hong Kong Bird Watching Society

Best viewed with IE 6.0 or Netsacpe 7.0:

Download Explorer   Download Netscape

HKBWS BBS 香 港 觀 鳥 會 新 聞 組 » Powered by YaBB!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.